• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Australia in 2009 (1 Viewer)

Vectis Birder

Itchy feet
I am tentatively making plans for a two or three month (maybe longer) visit to Australia and south-east Asia next year, once my current work contract is up in April or May.

I have been to Australia before, although I didn't do that much birding then, so I know how vast the place is but I am wondering about where the best birding places are in the east and north of the country. I am thinking of visiting the Northern Territory, Queensland and New South Wales.
Also, which field guide would be best? Simpson and Day or Pizzey and Knight - or any other suggestions? Also, is May/June/July a good time to visit - is the southern autumn/winter a good time for birds? I remember seeing plenty last time (I was last there in July and August 1997) so I'm guessing they won't be in short supply!

I would also be grateful for any photography hints - best places, etc.

Many thanks
VB

Hey VB, not an aussie, but did visit the place a couple of years ago for the first time from mid may to early June staying in Queensland. I was with my non-birding family but put together a little trip blog here http://wildlifeaylmerton-australia.blogspot.com/ not sure if it will be hardcore enough or not. I had the Simpson Day field guide, but when we return down under this christmas I'm gonna get hold of the Pizzey Knight book as I feel the illustrations to be more accurate. If you have any specifics about where we visited just fire away and we'll see if we can help.
RR

Hi Andy, many thanks for the reply. I'm not too bothered about 'hardcore' though, just a few tips on the best places will be great! :t:

Cheers
VB

Vectis birder
I like Pizzey in preference to Simpson and Day, I have both. Also have a smaller book the Slater Field Guide to Australian Birds, this is great for carrying in the field - pocket size. I'd suggest getting hold of Lloyd Nielsons book - Birding Australia. Its got ,loads of info in it on sites, accommodation, guides etc.
In terms of sites read the trip reports on the web - Travelling Birder - pulls together many of them. I use them as the basis for planning.
PM me if you wnat any info on Queensland - Cairns area. Have a look at O'Riellys at Lamington NP. Its expensive but excellent.

Phil

Hi Phil, I have been doing some digging in Travelling Birder, as suggested. There's some good stuff on there.

I have been looking into flying out to Melbourne via Singapore (spending couple of days in Singapore) then travelling up though eastern Australia through NSW and Queensland to Cairns before flying back to Sydney and then home via a few weeks in Thailand.
I am also hoping to do a pelagic while I am there - any suggestions as to which is the best bet, Wollongong or one of the others?

Specifically for Queensland, it seems that most time-limited people will want to fly between the greater Brisbane area and Cairns, hoping to maximize the number of species by changing abruptly. I drove (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=69710&highlight=queensland) and must admit it is a long distance.

Near (somewhat) to Melbourne is the north west of Victoria which is a great place to visit, and somewhat different than what you will see most of the way along the coast.

Do a search here and in the "books" forum of Birdforum to look at several previous threads discussing Australian field guides. I was happy with Pizzey and Knight.

Niels

Hi VB,
I invested in "Where to Watch Birds in Australia and Oceania" - Wheatley - for my upcoming trip.
It's not too heavy on Oz cover as the scope of the book is huge (And one day I hope to do some of the other places covered). But it is useful.
Of course you've read BirdingBoyBowley's excellent account.
I've got Pizzey/Knight and am well pleased with it.
May/June/July is the best time to visit Northern Territories, although there will be some migrants missing from Queensland in winter, again Cairns' weather should be great around then, though it can be cold inland further south.
I think Woollongong will be great - try googling pelagics for Oz - there's a great website that gives a month by month species account for some east coast trips.
I've also found Oz birding websites very useful - if you have trouble finding them PM me & I'll help out.
H

Hi VB,

If travelling from Melbourne to Cairns some of the places I would visit would include

(Greater Melbourne area)
Werribee
Phillip Island and Kilcunda/Powlett River
Dandenong Ranges (Ferntree Gully or Sherbrooke)

Chiltern Mt Pilot NP in the north of Victoria.

Also if you have a chance to visit the mallee district in the north west of Victoria it will add another great dimension to your birding trip.

In NSW must sees would be Barren Grounds south of Sydney, Capertee Valley nestled against the western edge of the Blue Mountains and Ash Island/Stockton in Newcastle north of Sydney.

Both Wollongong and Sydney have great pelagic trips and they also run occasionally out of Eden in southern NSW.

In Qld there's Lamington, Samsonvale/Mt Glorious/Mt Mee,Inskipp Point/Cooloola NP, Port Alma/Bajool, St Lawrence, Eungella NP, Townsville Town Common, Paluma, Julatten/Mt Molloy and several places on the Atherton Tablelands. Pelagics also run out of Southport every month and they have different specialties to the southern trips.

All in all there's good birding in most areas. Keep in mind you'll be travelling almost 4000km between Melbourne and Cairns and its very easy to spend most of your time travelling (although it looks like you'll have plenty of time over here). Also when you decide on where and when your going locals can often enhance your birding experience even if its just giving you directions to a particular site. I'm sure you will enjoy your holiday wherever you end up over here.

Gavin

Hi Halftwo and Gavin, thanks for the info - you've given me some good ideas there. As field guides go, it seems as if the consensus is for Pizzey and Knight, so that's what I'll go for - I'm at the Bird Fair this weekend so I'll see if I can get a copy there.

Hi VB
Victoria Bitter known as VB is probably one of Australia's popular beers but I'm sure It wouldn't be to good warm. Back to the point I live next to a lake on the main highway Sth of Mackay QLD that always has a variety of birds. I am only a border but can offer great access to the lake or depending on timing may be able to show you around a bit PM if you like
Regards George

Hi George, thanks for your reply.
I had Victoria Bitter last time I was Down Under and while I liked it cold, I would agree it would probably be disgusting warm (like beers generally are). I'd like to take you up on your offer too, it's always great to meet other birders!

I have already got myself a field guide, the Slater one (as it is a good size and weight, the Pizzey/Knight one was a bit on the heavy side), plus a copy of Lloyd Neilsen's book bought at the Birdfair a couple of days ago (NHBS had a copy for an outrageous £43 - considering it's only A$49 in the first plae and there are 2 Australian dollars to the pound, that was a rip-off. I got mine from Subbuteo for a far more reasonable £26, still expensive for a slim A5 volume, though).
Booking a flight is proving to be far more awkward - I can find plenty for a good price but not the schedule I want, time for a rethink, I suppose.

I'm planning Qld mid April - mid May, next year. Need Cassowary and Beach Curlew amongst others. Have a non birding and non flying wife so will be alone. Any BF members around in Qld at this time and want to meet up let me know. Vectis sorry to hijack your thread.
VB is OK cold, warm never tried it.

Phil

Hey it would be great to catch up with you both.
If you go to thread in local patch I put up some photos of the area. I was only joking about the warm beer, its just that I've heard that is how its done England. I'm not a full on birder just a spasmodic impostor LOL no merely a strong interest. I think it was Mission Beach has some permanent resident Cassowary I was there last May signs asking drivers to slow down for them and notices of recent sightings, unfortunate I wasn't lucky enough but was only passing through. Keep me updated on your plans and see what happens.

If you go to thread in local patch I put up some photos of the area.

Keep me updated on your plans and see what happens.

Cheers George, will do.

As for the warm beer, you're partly right. 'Proper' ales and bitters (I don't think you get 'em Down Under ;) ) need to be served at 'room temperature' but frankly, beer's better cold.:-O

I have bought tickets and I'll be arriving in Australia (via a few days in Singapore) on May 31st 2009, leaving sometime in July. I'm flying to Melbourne and then travelling up the east coast.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back