• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Avoid needing repairs! (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

When I was out on Thursday the outer case of the focus knob on my EL10x42s came adrift. Why? I have no idea, not dropped nor knocked, it just came detached.

I picked it up and pushed it back on as best I could until I got home, but it's not connecting properly to the focus mechanism and just turns with a clicking sound as if it's not engaging. I reported it to Swarovski on Friday and today I've received a reply that included this comment.

Please note: Due to a system change, the current repair duration is significantly longer than usual. Devices currently arriving in Absam (Austria) will be returned in the 1st quarter of 2023.
We therefore recommend that you do not send in the product until you can spare it for some time.
Thank you for your understanding!

Sorry you're having trouble. "A clicking sound" suggests the knob is engaging the diopter instead of focus, not being fully seated yet. Can you post photos of inside the knob, and what's exposed on the bridge? If nothing looks broken, can you see how it's meant to push and/or twist into place?

When I was out on Thursday the outer case of the focus knob on my EL10x42s came adrift. Why? I have no idea, not dropped nor knocked, it just came detached.

I picked it up and pushed it back on as best I could until I got home, but it's not connecting properly to the focus mechanism and just turns with a clicking sound as if it's not engaging. I reported it to Swarovski on Friday and today I've received a reply that included this comment.

Please note: Due to a system change, the current repair duration is significantly longer than usual. Devices currently arriving in Absam (Austria) will be returned in the 1st quarter of 2023.
We therefore recommend that you do not send in the product until you can spare it for some time.
will be returned in the 1st quarter of 2023,
Not so good if its your only pair.
Peter.

Their repair services were supposed to be back to normal by 5th September, but I suspect the anticipated disruption to services went on rather longer than anticipated.

On 18th August I reported an issue with a pair of my binoculars, and whilst they had originally quoted 5th September for the resumption of normal repair services, I was asked not to send my binoculars to them until October. I sent them to the UK offices for forwarding to Absam at the end of September. I received no acknowledgement of receipt of the binoculars until yesterday, when an email arrived confirming my binoculars had been received and that they will inspect the product and send me an email to advise me of the next steps.

I really don't know what's going on there, but they alerted dealers and representatives earlier in the year that there would be disruption to services while upgrades were implemented in Absam. I understand that, but I'm disappointed that having been asked to complete a second form and enclose it with the instrument, in order for my case to be considered high priority and be sent straight to the head of quality control for inspection and immediate repair, that my case shows as medium priority and that it has taken this long for my binoculars to even be inspected.

What a difference to my equivalent Zeiss experience and dealings with Gary at East Coast, which was absolutely first rate from start to finish and concluded within about a week from first report of suspected issue.

It sounds like they have a huge backlog. A well known UK dealer told me today that they only received their first repaired/serviced binoculars back from Absam since the summer closure last week.

...and this morning an email to say that they're happy to repair them free of charge and will advise me when the repair is completed and the binocular on it's way back to me. The cogs are turning, finally.

I'm not sure what's happening, I bought an ATS65HD on 24 April this year (admittedly it is an old model) as can be seen on a separate thread, but nearly 7 months later, I cancelled the order this week as they still could not give me any idea of a delivery date. Gonna look at alternatives instead. I emailed them directly, got a ticket number saying I would be contacted but then nothing more.

Apparently the I.T. upgrade in September didn't go to plan. I am not sure what is happening at Swarovski, but sadly they seem to be having major problems. Possibly concentrating heavily on new releases at the expense of any type of customer service. Hopefully they can sort themselves out soon, undoubtedly a quality manufacturer, but they have lost me as a customer, regards scopes at least. Wasn't through lack of trying or shortage of patience on my behalf. 7 months is too long to wait.

Another shout out for excellent service from Gary at East Coast and South West Optics.

Had changed from Swaro due to poor quality of armouring to Zeiss SF 8 x 42.

Minor issue with a bubble one side of armouring, they had been used daily for 2 years and were 2nd hand when purchased so no complaints, Sent via South West Optics, returned fully serviced, checked, new eye cups all within a week and with no charge at all.

Thank you very much Steve and Gary, really excellent service.

Andy

...and this morning an email to say that they're happy to repair them free of charge and will advise me when the repair is completed and the binocular on it's way back to me. The cogs are turning, finally.
My account showed that the repair was completed on the 11th of this month, two days after their previous email. It has taken a further 11 days, but I have had notification that they will be delivered to my address this morning. A fraction over 3 months from first contact to completion.

I'm sure they will soon catch up with the backlog and their repair service will be back to pre-upgrade levels of speed and efficiency, or better.

How did you reach Swarovski? I have been trying for a month or more via emails, and phone calls without success. Thank you in advance .

After 18 years of using a pair of 8x32 Nikon HGLs which still have super-smooth focussing I wanted something lighter so in 2020 I bought a new pair of Swaro 8x42 ELs. Optically great but, as time went by (3 months) the focus wheel got harder and harder to turn and eventually they had to go back to Austria for repair. When I got them back I decided I wanted something smaller/lighter and part exchanged them for a new pair of 8x30 CLs. They arrived only to find the focus wheel was incredibly stiff. Sent them back to the retailer (The Birder's Store) and they found a much better pair and got them to me in quick-time. However: on this pair the strap pin didn't lock into place (missing spring) and so the strap can simply pop out unexpectedly! Not acceptable so sent them directly to Swarovski UK (at my own expense) who forwarded them on to Austria. 9 weeks later (yesterday) they were returned, unrepaired!
Given the "1st Quarter of 2023" I'm not going to try again and will probably donate them to my local Cancer Charity shop and...
NEVER BUY SWAROVSKI AGAIN!

Update for 1/3/23 on a new service order:

Please note we are currently working through a computer system update. This has created delays in every department.
There will be several days or weeks with little or no communication during your repair process.

Repair times vary due to the system upgrade you may expect about an 12-16 week turnaround. In the event you have a product that must go to Austria to be repaired the repair time will be 16 weeks minimum.

Good things come to those who wait ;)

Update for 1/3/23 on a new service order:

Please note we are currently working through a computer system update. This has created delays in every department.
There will be several days or weeks with little or no communication during your repair process.

Repair times vary due to the system upgrade you may expect about an 12-16 week turnaround. In the event you have a product that must go to Austria to be repaired the repair time will be 16 weeks minimum.

Good things come to those who wait ;)

It is very different in the Swarovski of North America Repair Center. My 8x25CL pockets had the armor cracking and deteriorating on them. They are 3-4 years old. I sent them in and got them back about 3 weeks later. They look absolutely new. Besides the new armor, new eyecups, re-collimated, and external cleaning, they also checked resolution, focus uniformity, diopter zero setting, overrun at infinity, close focus distance, diopter compensation, alignment, field of view, cleanliness of optics a leak test- nitrogen fill.

No complaints here. Excellent warranty. Excellent product.

It is very different in the Swarovski of North America Repair Center. My 8x25CL pockets had the armor cracking and deteriorating on them. They are 3-4 years old. I sent them in and got them back about 3 weeks later. They look absolutely new. Besides the new armor, new eyecups, re-collimated, and external cleaning, they also checked resolution, focus uniformity, diopter zero setting, overrun at infinity, close focus distance, diopter compensation, alignment, field of view, cleanliness of optics a leak test- nitrogen fill.

No complaints here. Excellent warranty. Excellent product.
How did you contact them? i called and left my number and emailed them and haven't heard back yet...

How did you contact them? i called and left my number and emailed them and haven't heard back yet...
I had the same problem with trying to call. I was like number 10 in line and then got disconnected before anyone answered. But I sent an email with images and details and they responded within a few days and told me to send them in.

I had the same problem. I called and was number 10 in line and then got disconnected. But when I emailed them with images and details they responded after a few days and told me to send them in. Try that and don’t give up.

The backlog increases... I know widely reported in other threads, but this is obviously not a "minority" problem, the issues are common to all birders using their newer generation swaro bins under normal field conditions for a few years...

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back