• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aythya... ferina? Alicante - Spain (1 Viewer)

lunitis

Hello.
I saw this bird yesterday in El Hondo - Alicante.
There are many Aythya ferina in that spot, but this one has a very white neck. What do you think?
P1410363.JPG
Thanks.

Not an artifact. Most of the white pixels are slightly "blown out", as often happens in bright sunlight, but there's a shadow under the bill, and the pixels in that shadow are definitely not overexposed, and still white.
Not a species I'm familiar with, but a minute's googling suggests that a white patch under the chin is normal -- but often not so obvious due to posture. This one might be a bit bigger than most, I'm not sure.

Not an artifact. Most of the white pixels are slightly "blown out", as often happens in bright sunlight, but there's a shadow under the bill, and the pixels in that shadow are definitely not overexposed, and still white.
Not a species I'm familiar with, but a minute's googling suggests that a white patch under the chin is normal -- but often not so obvious due to posture. This one might be a bit bigger than most, I'm not sure.
It's a bird I see virtually every week but never noticed such obvious white as this but as I said above certainly female A. ferina.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back