• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aythya - Madeira (1 Viewer)

Ilya Maclean

charlatan
Any thoughts on the attached? Photographed at Lugar de Baixo on Madeira on 3rd of January. Striking sub-terminal bill band for a tufty and resembles a juv ring-necked moulting to 1st winter, but would have thought ring-necked duck would start to show a few more of the classic features by Jan.

Tufty and ring-necked are both rare vagrants on Madeira

Attachments

• ring-necked duck low res.jpg
    ring-necked duck low res.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 140
I personally don't see any Ring-necked Duck influence. Bill structure looks perfect for Tufted to me. They can show well developed bands on their bills-quite a variable species!

I personally don't see any Ring-necked Duck influence. Bill structure looks perfect for Tufted to me. They can show well developed bands on their bills-quite a variable species!

I agree, it is a Tufted Duck. Structurally it isn't a RND and it lacks plumage features I would expect to see on even a juv RND like the obvious eye-ring. I also don't see any obvious hybrid influence.

Cheers

Roy

Thanks - confirms what I thought. I just wanted a second opinion as tufted duck is probably the rarer of the two on Madeira and it does resemble a bird seen in Cornwall a few years ago, that was deemed a ring-necked duck http://www.gobirding.eu/Photos/RingneckedDuck.php.

I can see what you mean although the Cornish bird is approximately three months younger (1st Oct) and so I'd expect RND traits to be more obvious on the same bird by January.

Cheers

Roy

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back