• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Babbler from the gallery and Malaysia -- possibly Borneo (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados

This photo is only labeled as Malaysia, so could possibly be from Sabah or whatever in Borneo. However, with recent splits it would be nice to be sure if this is from mainland (Chestnut-winged Babbler) or Borneo (Grey-hooded Babbler). Anyone able to tell?
Niels

This photo is only labeled as Malaysia, so could possibly be from Sabah or whatever in Borneo. However, with recent splits it would be nice to be sure if this is from mainland (Chestnut-winged Babbler) or Borneo (Grey-hooded Babbler). Anyone able to tell?
Niels
It's a Grey-hooded Babbler Cyanoderma bicolor Niels, combination of complete grey-hood and strong rufous lower underparts confirm-Chestnut-winged has rufous extending to crown.

Grahame

Thanks Grahame,
what I had seen for Grey-headed was an image like this where the same color as the head spreads down onto the breast.

Regarding the Chestnut winged, I was aware that the nominate subspecies would have rufous on rear crown -- but I was unsure about the other subspecies. The thing I failed to connect is that if the photo was from mainland Malaysia, it would have to be nominate subspecies! I therefore also agree that the original photo is indeed Grey-headed.
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back