• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby Announcement (1 Viewer)

Silvershark

Well, I've been away from the forum a while and not doing much bird watching at all lately, but with very good reason because I have some new arrivals keeping me occupied....

Attachments

• Arizona2-1.jpg
    Arizona2-1.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Shadow.jpg
    Shadow.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 19
  • Magic.jpg
    Magic.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 16
  • Kalahari-1.jpg
    Kalahari-1.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 14
  • ChubbyShadow.jpg
    ChubbyShadow.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 14
Hi Kat.
Well done! They are little tiddlers aren't they.
What kind are they, and what size will they make?

All the best.
Baz.

They're dwarf sand geckos - Stenodactylus sthenodactylus - a species native to North Africa and the Middle East. I've got seven hatchlings so far, another one looks as if it may hatch tonight so fingers crossed I might get a video of one hatching! The adults reach around 10cms in total length so a small species.

Hi Kat
Well it looks like you have your hands full for a while with those little beauties..

Yup, they need the heat they have a hot spot of around 35-38C but being a desert species are fine at higher temperatures and during the heatwave last year (remember when we had summer?) the temperature under the sand soared to over 40C :eek!: That was without heating too (got too hot for the heating to turn on). They do prefer it to be cool at night though. They are insectivore - quite fussy feeders actually though I've got some the hatchlings to try different foods the adults will only really eat crickets, which are probably the best to feed them as they get plenty of excercise chasing them down, locusts which just sit and wait to be eaten and occassionally waxworms.

Hehehe don't seem to have many escapee crickets running around...though there are loads of fat spiders in the house! Thrilled that I've managed to hatch some this year. I'm keeping four (the first three hatchlings and fingers crossed that the last egg my female Ricki laid will hatch because I want to keep that hatchling!) the others are being sold. Already have a new home for three to go to! I'm waiting to see how well the youngsters sell this year so I can decide whether I'll breed them next year or not.

My eighth hatching has just emerged! Was hoping to catch him hatching on camera but the sneeky critter slipped out the egg while I wasn't looking!

Hi Kat.
Thanks for the info. They are indeed a small species. Bad luck with the attempt to video the hatching. It just goes to show that, ' Tide and time' are not the only things that don't wait for man; nature's pretty good at it too.
Thanks so much for sharing your hobby with us.

All the best.
Baz.

Nineth hatched this morning and another looks as if it is going to hatch any moment :-O Unfortunately though it is looking like three eggs have been lost :( Not sure as to reasons, guess it's just one of those things that happens. My little Tiree though has been wriggling in her egg, she's a month or so away from hatching though so fingers crossed she makes it because she is MINE lol

I now have 13 hatchlings! 3 hatched last night and another one hatched this afternoon (see pics!)

In total I have 19 reptiles at this very moment - 1 corn snake (Silver), 2 mourning geckos (Skye and Ayre), 3 adult sand geckos (Ricki, Sahara and Phoenix) and 13 baby sand geckos of which I'm hopefully keeping 3 (and fingers crossed the one still left to hatch).

Attachments

• 131.jpg
    131.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 132.jpg
    132.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 10
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back