• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bad Photo Horned Grebe and Bufflehead? Connecticut USA 2/24/24 (1 Viewer)

Hello,
I agree with your husband about the Bufflehead. Although I habe yet to see a wild one, the white patch on the cheeks and the colouration makes this a unique species anywhere in the world.
For the Grebe I need more pictures and hope for comments from US members. Jizz and gut feeling seems ok for a Horned Grebe (slightly better than for a Black necked Grebe and much better than a Red necked Grebe), but its a difficult "from behind" view and single picture effects might well be considered here. And yes, as always I hesitate to comment on pictures from outside Europe for the usual reasons.

The amount of contrast between black and white on the head and neck would indicate Horned Grebe, but is tricky for me to say what is real and what is a photographic artifact. It's also hard for me to get a good feel for the silhouette or some of the other colorations from that photo.

The second photo is a female bufflehead.

Hi. Just a suggestion, Pic 1, the neck, seems to be a bit too long for a, Horned? I was thinking, maybe a Western? ...a bit out of range, I know, but, I do believe they have been seen in that region/area before.

Hi. Just a suggestion, Pic 1, the neck, seems to be a bit too long for a, Horned? I was thinking, maybe a Western? ...a bit out of range, I know, but, I do believe they have been seen in that region/area before.

Ebird shows exactly one in the last five years. The strong contrast (black cap, black back, white neck) and erect (long-necked) posture are indeed reminiscent of Western, but the photo is far from conclusive. It could be a red-necked in strong light, or even a Horned at a tricky angle that makes the neck look longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back