• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bangladesh Teknaf ...a heron, a bittern, and an egret walk into a ... I think (1 Viewer)

Zangazanga

Hello, I was looking out the window of a vehicle waiting in a line for a couple of minutes , and I noticed three birds at least similar to herons (I think) within my view.
First I saw a couple of Indian Pond Herons (I feel most secure about this ID)
Then a large white egret. (Great Egret, I think, but perhaps Intermediate Egret),
and finally a brownish bird that was far off, but my impression was that it was larger than the Indian Pond Herons, but I had no really thought of what it might be. Now, looking through my guide book, I am wondering if it might be a Great Bittern, or perhaps a juvenile Black Bittern. Any help?

The first two photos are the bird most mysterious to me. The next two are what I think is an Indian Pond Heron, and the fifth photo is the white egret (Great, or perhaps Intermediate, or Little)

Attachments

• P1001931.jpg
    P1001931.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 135
  • P1001930.jpg
    P1001930.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 131
  • P1001929.jpg
    P1001929.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 125
  • P1001927(1).jpg
    P1001927(1).jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 113
  • P1001935(1).jpg
    P1001935(1).jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Why not Chinese Pond Heron? Isn't it seen in NE India?
Agreed on pond herons and little egret except for first 2 (size seems odd).Sorry for late reply

I think the first two are another Pond Heron. The head bill look slightly odd because of the posture, but the body proportions and overall colour look right. Compared to the surrounding vegetation, the size looks small.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back