• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bar Owl nest boxes - can multiple be put on the same pole? (1 Viewer)

remlluF

United States
Hi, so we have 20 acres out in the foothills, miles of open land, mostly cattle fields. We renovated an outbuilding and evicted two barn owls, booo. Last week while walking the dog, four barn owls flew out of two different bushes, we have no trees, non for miles. I want to build a shelter for them and am wondering if I can make multiple boxes on one pole, like do they mind neighbours, or if not, how far away should each house be?

Hi remlluF and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Barn Owl nest boxes should be at least 50 feet apart, so no, don't put them on the same pole.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

If there’s any way to attach a box to the renovated building (or even better inside it) that would be a good option.
I am worried about that, we have barn cats now, and am worried they would be able to get them. There are rafter beams the cats climb on, we have already had dead small birds and a full nest with eggs crashed to the floor.

The plan is, we are building a structure for saplings, a 12' high 'Garage-in-a-box' - we have an 8"X8"X16' beam that I can affix to it with the box at the top. we are upslope so even at 16' high it's still a drop-down from the fields.

Hi remlluF and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Barn Owl nest boxes should be at least 50 feet apart, so no, don't put them on the same pole.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thanks and thanks. I will put up one now and I can figure out getting one on top of our water tank in the future.

Thanks again, I don't like neighbours either, why we have the property :)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back