• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barn swallow (1 Viewer)

DebDudek

United States
Hi! I am new to this group. I live in Southwest Wisconsin and have become a birder. There are so many birds here that I've never seen before. I have a little incident I would like some help on. There is a barn swallow nest above my door. I don't know if it is the male or female but it is dead in the nest. And it's hanging on the side. Do I remove it? Does the mate remove it? I don't know if there are any eggs in there. I would assume there's some. Why did the bird die? Hard to tell without examining it. Would anotber bird attack it in tbe nest?
Thank you!

Hello, DebDudek! I think there isn't anything you can do currently, interfering with a nest in any way is risky. But keep us posted, and I hope you enjoy this forum!

Welcome aboard Deb! I would stay away from the nest for a bit and if you see no action in or out for a week then it would seem that it has been deserted

Hello, DebDudek! I think there isn't anything you can do currently, interfering with a nest in any way is risky. But keep us posted, and I hope you enjoy this forum!
Thank you! The mate has been around and has visited the nest. We will see what happens. It is too bad. I was looking forward to the babies!

Thank you! As I mentioned to another reply, I have seen the mate around and it has visited the nest a number of times. It is sad. I was looking forward to the babies!

Hi DebDudek and a warm welcome from me too. Have there been any other developments?

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi DebDudek and a warm welcome from me too. Have there been any other developments?

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.
The mate pushed the dead mate to the edge so it looked like it was trying to get rid of it, to get it out of the nest. So I just took some sticks to get it out of the nest for it. Whether that was a good thing or not I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back