• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bats using hummingbird feeder (1 Viewer)

cheshirebirder

I know pretty much zilch regarding bats , hence this post. I clicked onto one of the Cornell bird cams this morning forgetting it would still be dark over there ! Anyway, it was the Panama fruit feeder one, and I was surprised to see that there were bats flying around and occasionally stopping to “drink “ at the hummingbird feeder - at least that was what it looked like. Can anyone enlighten me,please ?

Perhaps the feeder nectar was attracting insects or moths and thus the bats were echolocating on those as food items, perhaps even picking them off the feeder. But as you say, they could be sipping the liquid as well.

Perhaps the feeder nectar was attracting insects or moths and thus the bats were echolocating on those as food items, perhaps even picking them off the feeder. But as you say, they could be sipping the liquid as well.
Thanks. Pretty sure they weren’t picking up insects but actually taking the liquid.

It is pretty normal in Central America, where there are several nectar-eating bats. More is on mammalwatching.com

Definitely will find bats using hummingbird feeders. I used to fill mine at dusk because the migrating bats in Arizona would use them and empty them at night. I had the hummers emptying daily and the bats emptying them nightly during migration.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back