• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bee-Eaters on UK telly programme (1 Viewer)

harr1y

Hi.. I was watching Bangers and Cash on the telly a little while ago and im positive that i could hear Bee-Eaters in the back ground .... The programme first aired in November 2020 .... I understand that the programme is filmed in Thornton-Le-Dale North Yorkshire ... Assuming that the Green Goddess fire engine that he is driving was delivered locally ... First of all is it Bee-Eaters that i'm hearing and secondly were there any reported in the area that summer or does it look like it's the ones that got away ?

Attachments

• VID_20230624_095817382(1).mp4
    2.5 MB
Last edited:
Not the most obvious bee-eater noises though certainly possible. But they pick up any handy stock tape of bird sounds and stick it in as bucolic background - way easier than making their own recording - so it means nothing.

Not the most obvious bee-eater noises though certainly possible. But they pick up any handy stock tape of bird sounds and stick it in as bucolic background - way easier than making their own recording - so it means nothing.
Guess we'll never know then .. But if you know the programme they auction off vehicles ... there would be no need to add any bird noise to 2 seconds of cows in a field splitting between scenes .. It ain't that high tech a programme

...cactus wrens singing in any desert scene anywhere in the world... red-tailed hawks calling when any soaring raptor (including those which never call) is on-screen... We could go on 👎🏼

I remember it being commented some years ago in Birdwatching magazine that Bee Eater was a mainstay of the BBC's sound department, as their drama series tended to highlight the abundance of this species in the UK at all times of the year.

The BBC sound effects library is available online if you fancy a browse. They are many and various but there are some bird filled soundscapes, maybe someone can find the offending one with the Bee Eaters.

And you can hear Great Northern Divers (Common Loons) on programmes from anywhere (including southern England in summer).
i know some years ago (i've no idea now days) that divers were cited as the most common bird calls used in movies, pretty much every horror movie used them

Yes the background atmos recordings are very common. I was watching the Irish Open golf recently on US TV. The golfers are happily putting away to the sound of birdsong - all American species!
If you recorded the real background sounds it would cause jarring discontinuity of the backgound when they cut together the shots, so they eliminate all live background and replace it with a continuous background recording.

i know some years ago (i've no idea now days) that divers were cited as the most common bird calls used in movies, pretty much every horror movie used them
The same exact recording of a Red Tailed Hawk is used to denote just about any bird of prey throughout the world in Hollywood moves. Similarly, a Kookaburra is present in so many "exotic jungle" scenes

Tawney owls hooting to add 'atmosphere' to night sequences set in Ireland. There are no tawney owls here. There was also a scene, set in wintertime in the west of Ireland , with an accompanying chorus of Mediterranean frogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back