• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zoom H1e (2 Viewers)

Zoom H1e are now in stock at several online retailers, so I purchased one this week.
I don't have a great deal of experience of higherquality sound recording, so don't really have much to contribute on that score, but I have a few initial findings from a birding perspective...

It's very small! much smaller than H2N for example (See Pic). Runs off 2x AAAs and battery life advertised as up to 10 hours.

It works well as a USB mic, which was my main intent for buying this, along with 32-bit float. I can use it as a USB mic into my smartphone, and Merlin sound ID then uses the H1e mic, as opposed to the phone's mic. This all works well, and I can simultaneously record with the H1e. I had to change something in the H1e menu for the headphone socket of the H1e to become live, think it was "direct monitoring" turned on.

On the downside, the Auto record is not good, only acts as a single shot trigger, and doesn't repeatedly start and stop everytime the sound threshold is exceeded. (The H2n does the repeat trigger really well.). May be improved with future firmware, but to be honest, I think the days of generating hundreds of small files are gone.
With the BirdAnalyser identification software, for example, it is easier to generate 1 file with a label file of results and tab through the labels in Audacity, as opposed to opening each file individually.

IMG_20240222_095703_989.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back