• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best all-around: SFL 8x30 or 8x40? (1 Viewer)

How is the eye relief of 8x30 vs 8x40? Zeiss states the same 18mm for all SFL models, which is a bit unlikely. Or?
I wear eyeglasses and seem to need more eye relief than most. Both SFLs have enough ER for me. Raising the eyecups 1 or 2 stops from fully down works well. When I find just the right size o-rings, I might use them to make a stop 1/2 way between stops 1 and 2.

The 8x40 might have had a touch more. I say “ “might” because I didn’t have the opportunity to use them side by side.

I find the 8x30‘s eye relief similar to the eye relief offered by my 7x42 UVHD+ in side-by-side testing. From memory, I think the eye relief of the 8x30 SFL is a little more generous than the eye relief of 8x32 EL that I owned previously.

I wear eyeglasses and seem to need more eye relief than most. Both SFLs have enough ER for me. Raising the eyecups 1 or 2 stops from fully down works well. When I find just the right size o-rings, I might use them to make a stop 1/2 way between stops 1 and 2.

The 8x40 might have had a touch more. I say “ “might” because I didn’t have the opportunity to use them side by side.

I find the 8x30‘s eye relief similar to the eye relief offered by my 7x42 UVHD+ in side-by-side testing. From memory, I think the eye relief of the 8x30 SFL is a little more generous than the eye relief of 8x32 EL that I owned previously.

Thanks for another confirmation of the eye relief of SFL 8x30. I recently tried SFL 8x40 and it worked very good. And several years ago I tried EL 8x32 and found it was the first 8x32 which worked very well with eyeglasses for me.
So this should mean SFL 8x30 really is excellent with eyeglasses.

How is the eye relief of 8x30 vs 8x40? Zeiss states the same 18mm for all SFL models, which is a bit unlikely. Or?
Both SFL's have excellent ER (I own both and wear glasses - sometimes slim wire-framed and sometimes heavier plastic framed). With the SFL30's, I need to be a little more careful about ER, and IPD or I do get some blackouts. I often set those eyecups one click out, tho really I've adapted to it. Both are excellent bins.

I do not believe that the relative optical "quality" of two binoculars can be ascertained by stripping them down and laying the parts on a table, for a “close examination”.

I do believe that the idea that a $1,000 binocular and a $3,000 binocular are the same, and the manufacturer of the $3,000 glass is gouging you is delusional.

I’m old and crabby, and I cling to my opinions. :)

Last edited:
To get back to the topic, I would choose the 30mm version, strictly for the weight and size.

30-32mm is a great size for an allround binocular. Pretty comfortable in the hands and not too bulky for walking around while enough brightness for a bit dusk and dawn too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back