• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Change to Zeiss SFL 10x40 or stick with my Leicas (1 Viewer)

mungot

United Kingdom
Hi all, first time here. I've got some Leica BN 10x42 which were my dad's and I've been using them for about 5 years. I'm guessing they are about 20 years old. I really like them for birding but they are sooo heavy. I'm looking to change for the Zeiss SFLs as I want similar quality and spec without breaking the bank, but in a lighter format, and these seem to get good reviews. Has anyone got any bits of advice when comparing the two, or experience of the SFLs in this size? Obviously, I'll also take a trip to my local shop to try them out and see how they feel.

Thanks for any help, Jim

Hi Jim.
Very different views through these two.

I'm a BN fan, great colours, amazing build quality. Classic bino for good reason. You're spoilt from the off!!!
You can get them serviced free by Leica, but of course they can't shave any weight off.

The SFL's are fantastic binos, but a much cooler colour cast in my opinion.
It really is best to go and test, and trust me, you will get a million and one different opinions coming your way.
You could consider 32mm binos if weight is such an issue, poss 8x, superb format, and the light gathering difference is not so very much.
Generally good field of view, good depth of focus, and a steadier image.
I've tried most formats, and i'm generally happier with 8x, and recently looked at 7x, and loved those too!
Let us know how you go.

Have not owned the BN's but I'm def a Leica fan (NV's, Retros, etc...): The SFL's are superb and imho well worth the price-point ask. MIJ may bother some, but the ergos, IQ and form-factor/weight are hard to beat. Yes a more neutral view than any Leica I've used (8 and counting...). Or you could pick up a used Ultravid...

I just tried the SFL's at the bird store sale and loved them. They seem like an excellent combination of smooth focuser (the same as SF and the best along w/ Nikon EDG IMO), light weight, comfortable hold and great optics. The only difference between them and the SF's or other top binos is a slight bit more false color around the outside of the FOV. Otherwise they seem the same as the SF"s to me except smaller and lighter.

Welcome to Birdforum! There are so many ways you could go. SFL would definitely be worth trying but pre-owned alphas could cost the same or less; stepping down to 32mm would be a similar weight reduction, unless you know that won't do for your conditions. The ultimate in nostalgia would be to get a 10x32 BN! (We still have mine and love it.) Or consider UV 10x32, or even 10x42 (still 4.4oz lighter, or 6.9 in leather). Or 10x32 FL which we also have and like, or even EL which would be quite different. Do bear in mind that the 42/50mm BNs were notorious "bricks"; just wanting a more reasonable weight doesn't necessarily make minimizing it the overriding priority, so be sure you like the view and handling too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back