• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best all-around: SFL 8x30 or 8x40? (1 Viewer)

I might also add...

I generally wear my glasses with bins (though not always) and have deep set eyes...exit pupil is important for those of us in this category... 8x40SFLs are great in this regard...the 8x30s workable but not perfect (for me).

All good points on the 40 (and 30). I suppose I'll just have to try them both. I don't wear specs, so I haven't ever had any issues with eye relief on any smaller aperture models.

Unfortunately, the nearest place I can find that has them is ~2 hours away.

Been trying all over to find a photo or video comparing the 40 or 30 vs. the 8x32 Conquest, but 99% of what I turn up is comparisons to the SF, which I've tested before and seem HUGE in comparison.

zgbrown10, post 22,
Look at the WEB-site of Outdoor, where you can find my reports with regard to the properties/performance (in English) of the SFL 30 and 40.
Gijs van Ginkel

Unfortunately, the nearest place I can find that has them is ~2 hours away.
Make that journey, or order both from a dealer with an appropriate returns policy, and return one. It's the only way you're guaranteed to make the right decision FOR YOU, because everything everyone is saying to you on here is purely subjective opinion and hearsay.

(Go for the 8x40's! πŸ˜‰πŸ€£πŸ˜‡πŸ˜)

I totally agree with Bentley here. When comparing optics of a similar level, it’s very important to spend some time with them, to learn as much as you can about how they function and handle for you. In the store you can get an idea how they feel in the hands , and that the optics a good, but you can’t find out how they handle for you under normal use and different lighting conditions.

Paul

I've said elswhere that nitpicking graphs is a poor way to pick bins, but... well it's fascinating to me to see how they perform...
The 30's actually did a little better and look both are killing the SF's!

Does it matter? Prob not much. Tho I will say that the 'look' (rich Leica, cooler or neutral Zeiss), etc. may be a function of areas where we don't have much perception but our brain still looks for stimulus?

Thanks to Gjis for doing the work and allowing me to butcher it :p

32s.jpg

zgbrown10, post 22,
Look at the WEB-site of Outdoor, where you can find my reports with regard to the properties/performance (in English) of the SFL 30 and 40.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi!

Have you an exact adress to that Outdoor? There are A LOT of results if google for outdoor.

Regards, Patric

I was able to try the 8x30s locally today, but no 8x40s. The view was unbelievable. I definitely understand why they're such a big step up from the Conquests.

However, from an ergonomics perspective, I really disliked the 8x30s. They were so much smaller than the 8x32 Conquests than I thought they would be. I do not have large hands, but I found them to be so small that they were hard to grip comfortably without having my pinky and half my ring finger hanging off the end (if I wanted to operate the focus wheel with my index finger). If I chose to "choke up" on them and operate the focus wheel with my middle finger, it still just felt so... awkward.

While I didn't find the eyepieces anymore finicky than any other compact bins I've used, I could tell right away it lacked the huge sweet spot I find appealing in my Conquests (and several other 42s I've had).

I'm hoping the 8x40s are different, because now I have a pair arriving tomorrow... πŸ˜…

I was able to try the 8x30s locally today, but no 8x40s. The view was unbelievable. I definitely understand why they're such a big step up from the Conquests.

However, from an ergonomics perspective, I really disliked the 8x30s. They were so much smaller than the 8x32 Conquests than I thought they would be. I do not have large hands, but I found them to be so small that they were hard to grip comfortably without having my pinky and half my ring finger hanging off the end (if I wanted to operate the focus wheel with my index finger). If I chose to "choke up" on them and operate the focus wheel with my middle finger, it still just felt so... awkward.

While I didn't find the eyepieces anymore finicky than any other compact bins I've used, I could tell right away it lacked the huge sweet spot I find appealing in my Conquests (and several other 42s I've had).

I'm hoping the 8x40s are different, because now I have a pair arriving tomorrow... πŸ˜…
I've found exactly the same ergonomics wise, it's not just the size - more the position of the focus wheel, the 8x40's much better from that perspective - looking forward to your thoughts when it arrives!

I understand 8x30 is less good in the hands than as well Conquest 8x32 and SFL 8x40.
But I like that it is that smaller size for the sake of portability. It's still surely better in the hand than 20-25mm compacts. And if the eye relief is significantly longer than Conquest 8x32 I realize it's big chance it may be the binocular I sought for since decades!

I understand 8x30 is less good in the hands than as well Conquest 8x32 and SFL 8x40.
But I like that it is that smaller size for the sake of portability. It's still surely better in the hand than 20-25mm compacts. And if the eye relief is significantly longer than Conquest 8x32 I realize it's big chance it may be the binocular I sought for since decades!
As always, it's very personal. I have no issues at all with size of 8x30, or the location of focuser.

As always, it's very personal. I have no issues at all with size of 8x30, or the location of focuser.
Same here but I feel more comfortable with the 8x40 which are my favorite: ease of view and eye-placement and still lightweight compared to my NL Pure 8x42 (the best but bigger and heavier).
But when I want something compact in the backpack, the 8x30 is a good choice. I like them more than the VP 8x25.

Same here but I feel more comfortable with the 8x40 which are my favorite: ease of view and eye-placement and still lightweight compared to my NL Pure 8x42 (the best but bigger and heavier).
But when I want something compact in the backpack, the 8x30 is a good choice. I like them more than the VP 8x25.

Earlier when I had both Vortex Viper HD 6x32 and Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42(sold) I almost always chose the 6x32 when I went out for a walk in the forest or cycling trip. This despite Conquest HD is a tad(but just a tad) better when it comes to optical quality. Even if I appreciate the stable and comfortable view with 6x, the size and weight was the main decisive factor that the 6x32 was most used. But this 6x32 is pretty much full size and surely more comfortable in the hands than SFL 8x30. Anyway: size and weight matters especially when you walk around and carry it around the neck. I understand SFL 8x30 is more comfortable to carry around than 8x40.

The past several days I've been grabbing a diff bino before stepping out into yard (fall warblers occasionally passing through). Past two days I used the 8x40's and really, nothing to report. They do what they are supposed to do and they do it well. Biggish but light(er) than other 42's. This morning I stepped out with 8x30's and immediately noticed myself tweaking the IP and maybe fiddling a little more to get a trouble-free view. I never once had to think about how I was gripping them, and didn't think 'these are small and compromised...'. So, yes, they are not as 'easy' as the 40's. but once I'd used them a little, I again forgot about the fact they were smaller/fiddlier/less-anything.
Bigger is better but it's also... well, bigger!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back