• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Binoculars (1 Viewer)

I’m looking for a really nice pair of binoculars, maybe even the very best. ….Probably been asked a million times on this forum, but what the heck.

I’ve been driving around the Toyota Camry, my whole life and it’s time to get the Mercedes. Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Last edited:
What do you want to do with your binoculars? Are you scouring mud flats or desert plains or are you looking into bushes in the depths of the forest or doing both? Do you do some astronomy on the side? Are you going out in the rain? Do you want to be able to stick them in your pocket when roaming art galleries? There is no such thing as "Best Binoculars" it depends on what you want to do with them, to use your car analogy you wouldn't buy a Ferrari to cross the Sahara.

Ok then….. apologies……I just assumed that because I was posting on a bird watching forum that I’d be mostly watching birds with them….

That’s my thing…. being out in nature looking at birds and animals….. I also have a scope, which I would love to upgrade someday, but I feel like the binoculars have to come first.

I’m all over the USA, so I don’t have a specific birding style …... Lakes, ocean, woods, fields, bushes…..all those are places I find myself ……

Ok then….. apologies……I just assumed that because I was posting on a bird watching forum that I’d be mostly watching birds with them….

That’s my thing…. being out in nature looking at birds and animals….. I also have a scope, which I would love to upgrade someday, but I feel like the binoculars have to come first.

I’m all over the USA, so I don’t have a specific birding style …... Lakes, ocean, woods, fields, bushes…..all those are places I find myself ……
Hello Spedmeister,

After seventeen years of using a Zeiss 8x32FL, I have been using a Zeiss 8x32SF. The improvements include:
A noticeably wider field, 8.81ºFOV
A well resolved, bright, contrasty image.
The colour looks natural to me, but I am in need of cataract surgery.
A well balanced binocular with good ergonomics.

It is heavier and larger than the the FL but the ergonomics compensate for that.

If you use the binocular during dawn and dusk an 8x42 might suit you more. Today, I met someone who was pleased with his 8x42SF. If you are young, with a steady grip 10x might be more suitable for lakes, beaches and oceans. I note that you originally had "legs" instead of lakes, so I need not address that use.

Leica, Nikon and that Austrian brand all make fine binoculars, so it is best to try before you buy, in order to find the one that suits you.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
Thank you Arthur!

I’ve been using 8x42 for the majority of my life and I was thinking I’d stick with that….

I was more looking for some brands and models of the very best….I will definitely check out the Zeiss!!!

I’ve been using 8x42 for the majority of my life and I was thinking I’d stick with that….

I was more looking for some brands and models of the very best….
Hello,

first of all, welcome to the bird forum...:)

• Zeiss SF 8x42
  • Swarovski NL 8x42
  • Swarovski EL 8,5x42
  • Leica Noctivid 8x42
  • Leica Ultravid 8x42 HD Plus
  • Nikon EDG 8x42

These would be my binoculars currently still in production and top of the range in the 8x42 configuration.
With regard to ergonomics, mechanics and visual advantages, it is up to the individual to decide.;)

Andreas

8x42 are oft quoted as "the" birding binocular but I have found them a compromise that is neither one thing or the other. They are generally too heavy to hang round your neck all day and although they have that extra bit of light gathering they are not true twilight binoculars. For the price of a a 100٪ 8x42 you could by a suite of 95٪ binoculars that offer much more utility the variety of situations you will encounter. A Wrangler, a Boxster and a Minivan will do more than a Rolls Royce Phantom.

I completely understand what you’re saying…..

I feel like it when I’m afield I’m probably going to be out there during daylight hours and I’ll probably never walk all the way back to the car to change binoculars. I certainly wouldn’t carry two pairs of binoculars with me ever. …..So I guess I’m kind of looking for just an all-around set up.

I completely understand what you’re saying…..

I feel like it when I’m afield I’m probably going to be out there during daylight hours and I’ll probably never walk all the way back to the car to change binoculars. I certainly wouldn’t carry two pairs of binoculars with me ever. …..So I guess I’m kind of looking for just an all-around set up.
If you are a long-term 8x42 user then you might add consideration of Swarovski NL Pure 10x42 with forehead rest NL Pure and bino suspender pro.

Just my 2 cents. I hear rave reviews of the 8x and 10x Swarovski NL Pures. Can’t go wrong with the Zeiss Victory series or Leica Noctovids.

Blaser makes some good binoculars in Germany.
There are a bunch of companies that send in specs for their binoculars to be made by a Third Party Vendor like Kamakura in Japan or Kenko (One Factory in Phillipines). Most Binos less than $400 are likely made in China but some of their Binos are under rated. Vortex is popular, Maven is another. GPO, DDoptics, Vixen. Maven is company to customer direct. You can have some of your Binos custom designed also.
There are numerous quality European Binos out there. I hope you find what you’re looking for.

Imho, the best birding binocular is the Canon 10x42ISL, alpha glass, robust and image stabilized.
The stabilization makes an enormous difference, you simply see more better.
Disadvantages are heavy weight, brick like handling and ergonomics, plus a minimal 3 year guarantee which really only covers possible infant mortality of the stabilization electronics.
When my first one went wonky, after a decade of hard use, I simply bought another, as there is still nothing better available.

Fujinon make some good stabilized 14x40 binoculars and some smaller ones. They are very popular with deep sea fishermen in Hawaii. they have about 6-8 degrees of stabilization. The newer TS-X Model floats in water.

I use a pair of Helios Nitrosport 8x42, light weight at 633grams, and gives me a pleasant bright view free from distortion, most of the time I wander around woods with my elderly collie which I find them ideal for. The specifications are quite good for the price link below contains the specs and a link to the only review I've seen. Very pleased with them and very good value.

My other pair is Opticron oregon 15 x70 I use mostly for variable star work in astronomy but useful for costal walks occasionally but a bit heavy to hang around my neck for any length of time.

Hello,

first of all, welcome to the bird forum...:)

• Zeiss SF 8x42
  • Swarovski NL 8x42
  • Swarovski EL 8,5x42
  • Leica Noctivid 8x42
  • Leica Ultravid 8x42 HD Plus
  • Nikon EDG 8x42

These would be my binoculars currently still in production and top of the range in the 8x42 configuration.
With regard to ergonomics, mechanics and visual advantages, it is up to the individual to decide.;)

Andreas

+ Meopta Meostar HD B1+ 10x42

+ Meopta Meostar HD B1+ 10x42
I'm rather a fan of those Meostar 10x42 HD-something too! brilliant view, somewhat narrow (fine for me) FOV, nice chunky body, but pay attention to 'focus drag' in the mechanics. Less than half the price of the super-top.

There were some weird switches this spring, which leaves me with (my good-old Leica 10x50BN Trinovid and) the fabulous..
.. ZEISS SF 10x42. Slightly narrower view than the Austrians (Pure NL's), but for me the perfect handling! Where the NL's FOV might make the 10x handling like a 8x..
..with the ZEISS SF it's the stability that makes the 10x feel like an 8x!

Good luck making a choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back