• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Nikon for under $600? (1 Viewer)

urwethe

I have not been birdwatching for 20 years but just purchased a vacation home in NY State. What is the best deal for a Nikon(or dare I ask for another brand) for under $600, new or used/reconditioned?

Thanks o:)

I have friends who are very pleased with their Nikon Monarchs. They are roof prisms and can be purchased for under $300.00.

I use, and highly recommend, Nikon's porro prism 8 x 30 E2's, which can be purchased new for about $250.00. Their optics are first class, easily the best porro's you can buy for under $400.00, along with Swift's 8.5 x 44 Audubons, which are much bigger and heavier. You should be able to find the Monarch's and Swift's at any good Birding store. The 8 x 30's may be harder to find to try out. It is rumored they are being discontinued, so get them ASAP if you find you like them.
Cordially,
Bob

Nikon for less than $600

Otto McDiesel said:
You can also find Nikon LX 8x32 and Nikon SE 8x32 for less than $600. They are excellent binoculars.

Thanks Otto and Caesar! This is exactly in information I needed. When I win the lottery I will buy a set for $1800 !!

- Urwethe :clap:

urwethe said:
Thanks Otto and Caesar! This is exactly in information I needed. When I win the lottery I will buy a set for $1800 !!

- Urwethe :clap:

Nikon 8x30EII binos are excellent and available well under your price limit...if you can find one!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back