• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best place to buy 500f4 (1 Viewer)

spock

Can anyone point me to a good place to buy a canon 500 f4 is l?
I have been looking local,most were all within a few ££ of each other,but I came across Simply Electronics when looking on the pc.has anyone had a lens from this company???as they are listing it at the best part of a grand less,...
Thanks Ian...

kerso is likely to be cheaper than any UK retailer as it's imported from the US, but if you want to buy locally I recommend the shop in East Dereham. They'll be competetive on price and offer great service, they had the 500 f4 in stock yesterday - http://norfolkcameracentre.co.uk/

I'd recommend Kerso.....while they are imported they come with a compatible warranty, iv'e used Kerso and can't speak highly enough of him and the service he provides.

Thanks posty,I was thinking about giving them a look,maybe at the weekend.
Thanks for ALL the replies,...Ian

They are an interesting place to visit, it's a fairly small shop in the high street of a small town... but they keep the 500 f4 as a stock item (along with the 600 f4, 400 f2.8, 300 f2.8 and often the 800 f5.6)! Only two blokes work there and they are both very helpful and knowledgeable, I've spent far too much money in there over the last few years.

Can anyone point me to a good place to buy a canon 500 f4 is l?
I have been looking local,most were all within a few ££ of each other,but I came across Simply Electronics when looking on the pc.has anyone had a lens from this company???as they are listing it at the best part of a grand less,...
Thanks Ian...

Avoid! See here...

Just ordered the same lens from Kerso - 4450 plus 60 P&P. Had great service from him before and wouldn't hesitate to use him again. I'd recommend him to anyone.

Buy secondhand if you can. You are wasting money if its new. Its like buying a brand new car and walking out the door and finding 20% depreciation hits you. As long as you can test the lens you should be fine. A few cosmetic differences isnt going to make any difference to the final image.

I just came back from new york on a trip a picked one up from B and H for 3800 stirling on the exchange rate.Could get a trip and a lens for cheaper than the uk...

I have bought off Kerso, no problems, I have bought from HK, China, Taiwan, also no problems, much cheaper even when paying the import duty or VAT if needed, at the end of the day after 12 months you are in the same boat as anyone that bought in the UK, but beware of grey imports from some UK sellers that don't tell you they are imported.

Buy secondhand if you can. You are wasting money if its new. Its like buying a brand new car and walking out the door and finding 20% depreciation hits you. As long as you can test the lens you should be fine. A few cosmetic differences isnt going to make any difference to the final image.

I'm not sure I'd worry too much about depreciation on these big lenses - current dealer used price for a 500 f4 is ~£4500 (mifsuds). Camerapricebuster list the best UK price for one as £4995, so thats only 10% saved for buying used, for that difference I'd rather buy new with a warranty.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back