• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bill Oddie In America (2 Viewers)

Buzzard1905 said:
Absolutely love bill oddie programmes.he is king of the birdwatchers,and his messing around sometimes is great and lightens the mood.bill oddie bill oddie put your hands all over my body!!!!!!!!1 :D

Even Madonna might think that this is kinky!

Oh yes, and I forgot about the advertising. Country Innovation is sending out emails saying 'watch Bill Oddie in Country Innovation gear' on the US programme. Seems wrong for the BBC to be party to this. Here's me thinking adverts were banned on the Beeb (though he's been advertising leica there for ages -- note how rarely his scopes wear stay-on-cases).

I do think WEO has contributed an awful lot to birding and conservation over the years, and I've read all his books, and watched all his programmes. It's just a shame he has a monopoly of bird-programme presenting. I'm not sure that his presenting style does anything to improve the already dubious image of the birder/birdwatcher.

Sean

dogfish said:
It's just a shame he has a monopoly of bird-programme presenting. I'm not sure that his presenting style does anything to improve the already dubious image of the birder/birdwatcher. Sean

Ironic. Attenborough seems to have the monopoly on bird related programs in the States. In fact, I was was watching one when I wrote my earlier post. I don't think I've ever seen any of Bill Oddie's programs here, even on BBC America.

I like Bill, but for me it's a little nostaglic.... plus many of the birds shown we're not told what they are, can't say i've ever been to the States so many of the birds i have no idea what i'm looking at and when it's over i still have no idea, but i do know where Bill gigged/slept/ate etc when he was younger ;-)

i know bill oddie is not everyones cup of tea but he shares a passion that every single one of uss shares,a passion for birds,whether people think he can be a tad irritating or false on his programmes is a matter of opinion but he has merely got the chance to do something that many of us would love to do and thats visit some fantastic places,film it and go birding at the same time,i think he is great and sure beats such crap programmes like celebrity big brother that our tv networks seem intent on throwing at us!!!
I for one enjoy his programmes and the energy that he portrays on them,he may not be every serious birders idea of great tv viewing but for alot of people he is the closest they will get to hawk mountain and other great places!

robert burgess said:
i know bill oddie is not everyones cup of tea but he shares a passion that every single one of uss shares,a passion for birds,whether people think he can be a tad irritating or false on his programmes is a matter of opinion but he has merely got the chance to do something that many of us would love to do and thats visit some fantastic places,film it and go birding at the same time,i think he is great and sure beats such crap programmes like celebrity big brother that our tv networks seem intent on throwing at us!!!
I for one enjoy his programmes and the energy that he portrays on them,he may not be every serious birders idea of great tv viewing but for alot of people he is the closest they will get to hawk mountain and other great places!
Well said Robert, it certainly beats all this crap reality TV, except of course Springwatch which is proper reality TV.

Rod.

Last edited:
can't wait for springwatch,love the programme and the way we get to see our beautiful country and wildlife in all its greatest forms for a few weeks every night on terrestrial tv!!

Sort it out BBC!

I'm watching tonights (23rd Jan) and I'm sure they are showing the same one as last week?!?!?!?!?!

What a swizz, was looking forward to it as well.

Still fed up with it.

Vectis Birder said:
It is the same as last week. The programme is shown on Thursdays and repeated Tuesdays. Not really a swizz.
What a funny do. Usually they repeat these progs at a different time. I thought they had put the wrong tape in the machine.

Just watched the repeat of the second show,some great blues music on the soundtrack. That snail eating Kite was fascinating, although not as unusual as it might first appear as Kites tend to feed mainly on carrion so a snail is only one step up really, in terms of ease of catching them,that is.
Some reserves the size of counties! that puts things into perspective.
Enjoyed the show.

steveo said:
I cant seem to find it on here in the US. For that matter I cant believe there is not one American made bird program.
I remember I used to watch a program, on our cable channels, called Bird TV which was an american birding programme fronted by a really tall enthusiastic university professor(I think). I remember a particular episode were they where looking for nesting Golden Plovers and demonstrating how well they were camoflauged. Dont think they showed too many though.

with a bit of luck, Oddie will enjoy himself over in the states so much, he won't come back and we may be spared the irritating little ass once and for all. shame he hasn't got Humble with him too!!

mamo

mamo said:
with a bit of luck, Oddie will enjoy himself over in the states so much, he won't come back and we may be spared the irritating little ass once and for all. shame he hasn't got Humble with him too!!

mamo
That's a bit harsh mamo, maybe short people irritate you. If that's the case then I would irritate you also.

Rod.

The Raptor said:
That's a bit harsh mamo, maybe short people irritate you. If that's the case then I would irritate you also.

Rod.
He probably irritated people like me who have failed to find Florida Scrub Jays when taking time out from a family holiday there and then see him all smug with one of the b*ggers perched on his head LOL!

level seven said:
He probably irritated people like me who have failed to find Florida Scrub Jays when taking time out from a family holiday there and then see him all smug with one of the b*ggers perched on his head LOL!
Must agree with you there, but is it not a fact, that any wildlife programme always seem to find what they are looking for, be it a bird or any other creature.

Rod.

The Raptor said:
any wildlife programme always seem to find what they are looking for, be it a bird or any other creature.

Hmmm. Good point.

These things can happen, of course, but the roadside armadillo was awfully convenient. They aren't that common.

Also, small point maybe, but he was clearly driving along the western end of US-192 around Disney on most of the establishing shots, while claiming to be somewhere else at least twice.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back