• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular and camera both during birding (1 Viewer)

kumarmukund

Hi All,

I am basically a bird photographer. I carry a D-500 + Nikkor 200-500mm, handheld while shooting.

Do you think one should also have a binocular along with camera gear so that bird behavior and habitat can be observed better along with occasional photo clicks if the composition is right.

Thanks

Hi Kumarmukund and welcome to BirdForum!

I would say definitely, but then I'm a birder who likes to take the odd photo!

Chris

it is actually interesting to ponder, as a newbie i am looking at 'gear' and what and why.
binoculars have certainly opened my vision and helped with ID but also increased my interest in behaviour, habitat and dare i say it, 'the wonder of nature'. then a decent photo would be a record and an aid.
so for me, i dont want to decide between, i want both.
it seems from other threads youngsters are possibly making a choice through modern acailability and practise, toward camera via phones and instagram as an example.
then it comes down also to your nature, where the 'ticks' become important may be competitive and also may be the urge to explore boundaries of rare, unusual.

i want £200 Binoculars with a voice or blink activated fast auto response digital camera built in that wifis or bluetooths to my 'phone' for storage. they are just tools for my brain to use. i also want to recognise the trees around, food sources and aggragated, networked records by area, date and time and weather. its coming ...

Understanding behaviour will enable you to take better photos. When you begin photography it is very normal to be satisfied to just get a nice shot of a new species with good composition and exposure and no camera shake. But as time passes by and you have built up a library of photos you can find extra enjoyment by photographing different kinds of behaviour and if you have studied behaviour you can recognise the circumstances and habitats in which this behaviour is likely to happen and get yourself into a better position to capture this on a photo.

Learning different behaviour patterns will allow you to identify unfamiliar species more quickly and therefore open up new photo opportunities.

To do this you need a good quality pair of binoculars. They don't have to be top models to achieve this. You will find more enjoyment in both your birding and photography in this way.

Good luck.

Lee

Hello and welcome to the forum. I use both. The binoculars are used much more than the camera, even though I take quite a few photos.

Hi kumarmukund and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I don't feel dressed without my binoculars LOL. Observing and understanding the birds behaviour is really important I think and can really help to get better images.

I'm likely a "birder" second and a "bird photographer" first, getting my joy in catching behavior, details, or whatever presents itself. "Targets of opportunity," combined with a nice walk, you could say.

Due to budget constraints, I've never been able to have half way decent camera gear and a good pair of binoculars, so the camera came first and I never really had binoculars along (or relatively inexpensive ones for basic spotting).

So I spent a couple of decades taking photos and not realizing what I had captured until I got home to examine the photos on the computer. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, never knowing any better.

A couple years back I was lucky enough that my 15th Year with my company came with my choice of gifts and I was able to pick-up some Nikon ProStaff binocs and...I have to say I really enjoy them.

Now that I figured out how to carry the binocs in a handier position than on a pouch on my belt (hurray for chest straps), the binocs are a full-time part of my gear on any longer photography walks.

Do I need them, to have fun? No. Do I have more fun now that I have them? Sure. If they broke tomorrow would I pay full-price to buy another pair? Probably not; I'd rather buy a nicer camera.

I carry both. I bird with my camera for the most part, shoot first, ID later if the bird is within range. Bins provide much better viewing for distant birds/objects.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Welcome!
I've slowly changed from pure birder to pure photographer. I carry one of my Canon DSLRs with a Sigma 150-600 mm lens plus odds and ends of extra gear. Combine that stuff with carrying an O2 tank and that's as much as I can manage. I use my long lens as a scope. It's not as good as my Bushnell binos or my spotting scope but it is the best choice for me right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back