• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars won't stay adjusted??? (2 Viewers)

number41

United States
I have some older Minolta MK 7x50 binoculars. When I adjust them comfortably spaced to my eyes, they won't retain that position. Almost like a "hinge" needs to be tightened. Although looking at them I can't find any type of screw or adjustment.
Anyone know how I can adjust them?

thanks.

how about a picture? On many binos there's a little cover or plate on the bottom end of the hinge that must be pried off to access the adjustment screws underneath.

Thanks for the photos.

The 10x50 MK also has a 7.8 degree field.
I used this daily for ten years with no problems.

Don't try to do anything until one of the binocular repairers answers.
It may be a simple job, maybe not.

I don't know if you want a professional service by say Suddarth Optical, for regreasing etc.

B.

I see what you mean, I'd be afraid to start prying stuff off also. The servicing is usually $200 though, so it might be worth taking some risks

If the dealer who sold them to you is within a reasonable travelling distance from you, give them a call and ask them if they could do this adjustment for you.

number41,

I would go to a website Cloudynights, sign up (it's free). There is a Binocular sub forum there and post the photos there with your issue. I am sure you will get someone there who has repaired these, they have extensive knowledge on the older porro prism binoculars. l have seen these same binoculars posted there in the past, so it cannot hurt to try.

Can't tell by the pix, but it looks like the axle caps may be glued down. If that's the case, prying the caps off may damage them.
And yes, ^^^ Cloudynights is a great resource.

thanks for all the help. I did find some info and the "cap" that says Minolta does come off revealing an adjustment screw. So, I have the hinges a little tighter now.
Although it does look like more of a specialized tool should be used, I still managed to turn it about 1/8th of a turn.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back