• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird catching insects, Colorado front range (1 Viewer)

tenex

reality-based
Yesterday in the woods we saw two or three birds in the tops of tall trees, flying out to catch insects. It was an odd mixture of low sunlight and shade, and considerable distance, but the impression was consistent with Western/Cordilleran Flycatcher: rather light with some eye markings, dark wings with prominent bars (no sense of a crested head viewed from below).

The problem is that it's quite late to be seeing flycatchers here; the last eBird report in this county was 5 Sept, and apparently that already got flagged initially as unlikely. What other possibility comes to mind?

Yellow-rumped Warblers will flycatch regularly, and at a distance I think they match your description. Seeing multiple flycatchers feeding together in October sounds extremely unlikely, but I would expect Yellow-rumped Warblers to be doing that.

Perfect. Not male YRWA (too contrasty) but female/juvenile. I should have thought of that; even the streaky bits (which I didn't mention but remember now) are right, I just couldn't see distinct yellow patches in that light. Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back