• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Composites (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Been playing around lately by 'plonking' birds on landscape shots to create surreal images. I quite like the effects you can get.
Here are a few samples, it should be noted that I am not really trying to make the birds look normal in the background but just create a pleasing image.BTW when I post shots like this I always declare that they are composites.

Attachments

• bar and catchers.jpg
    bar and catchers.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 208
  • bideford curlews.jpg
    bideford curlews.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 203
  • arlington1v2 composite.jpg
    arlington1v2 composite.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 194
  • ilfracombe spoonbills.jpg
    ilfracombe spoonbills.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 199
Excellent Roy almost like a painting,is this done through a type of photo shop set up Roy.This could be another avenue for you they are really great.
REGARDS GEORGE

,is this done through a type of photo shop set up Roy.
REGARDS GEORGE
Hi George, any piece of software with selection tools and layers would be OK as the technique is very simple. The hardest part is deciding which landscape and bird photo to use and how to place the bird in the shot (both size and position).

I've played around with this sort of manipulation. Probably the earliest bird photo I did was from December 2007. I was photographing a rugby game when a skein of Canada geese flew over. They almost formed a question mark, so it didn't take too much manipulation to convert the photo to that. I can't find the original I did, so this is a quick repeat.

Nice shots, Roy. Number 3 looks the best to me.

(Addendum: I should have added that I moved a few more birds in the original to give a more perfect shape.)

Last edited:
Very nice. Good clean cut outs too. One or two of the plates on the Crossley ID guide (which I like a lot) might have benefitted from your skills.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back