• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Hide Users Take Note! (1 Viewer)

Jude

Beddington Farm is one big litter bin - being a refuse tip!! We have problems with people lighting fires in the tin hut hide.. breaking in to the cage which has nothing of value to humans in it and fences being torn down / cut open on a regular basis. We have even had motorbikes on the site but I suppose if the fences were intact then they would not get on the site in the first place!!

I dread to think what else happens there outside birding hours!!

I do understand your frustrations though it does not take a second to take litter home with you!

Regards

Kevin

Last edited:
Yes its unfortunate that not everyone is considerate with their litter, especially in `nice hides` - however if bins were provided they`d only get set ablaze as has been the downfall with flammable hides.
Its also a pity about the other activities that go on- however, understandable given the usual seclusion and peacefulness of such `shelters`.

I had the misfortune of disturbing a couple at Barons Haugh but tried to stand my ground hoping they would move on and allow me to view Green Sandpipers that were present- but after a few seconds the guy said loudly `Nope - can`t see any ducks from here!`. I then felt i HAD to leave, and even apologised on the way out.
No apology from them for me dipping out on the sandpipers! GRRRR :C

additional edit.. now I know why groups of scopers occasionally make loud chat and noise on the lead up to the hides!

Last edited:
Whatever next - signs reading `Dogging between dawn and dusk prohibited` - or better still - what about an engaged/vacant slot on the door.
Its a blinking disgrace!

edge1255 said:
To steal a quote from Billy Connolly, some of the birders up here have got their binos nailed on!!! Now that's hard!! :'D

Oh yes...thanks for that.
After a very bad time recently that’s the first time I've broke out into a laugh for ages.

As long as the waterproofing stays in tacked, that’s important up here.
Windscreen wipers on the lenses would be good too.

The last hides I used properly were at Musselburgh Lagoons east of Edinburgh. Open top concrete boxes with holes to let the wind in off the Firth of Forth.
No chance of anyone sleeping over there.

Last edited:
I have to admit - Baron's Haugh is uncomfortable - but you do get plenty of space there. Need to take a blanket because the viewing windows are spaces in the wall without glass or anything but its one less thing to be broken. The nicest hides I've visited are the ones at Morton Lochs in north east Fife. They are well maintained and even still smell of new cut wood. I've spent quite a few hours idling time away watching the heron spear its dinner while I munch on mine. The only complaint I would make is that although they have a log book, they have asked kids not to use them as doodle pads. I keep thinking I'd like to leave a second, plain-paper book there for that purpose!

Hi
Holme Marsh, Norfolk, will take a lot of beating for comfort. Well looked after, super plastic protected log books and cushions!
I am not sure who looks after them but very well done.

Regards

Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back