• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID confirmation, Maui Hawaii. (2 Viewers)

Shane3004

England
Hello everyone.

I was going through some of my holiday snaps yesterday from Maui and was wondering about the bird on the left. I'm confident that the bird on the right is an Amakihi. My guess is that the bird on the left may be the same but appears to have a shorter and lighter bill. Maybe a female? Or is it something else?
The only other possibility is an Alauahio but I'm not convinced.

Over to you experts........

Thanks in advance.
Shane

Attachments

• 49AD6E6D-8568-4A75-B0EA-8316A5975A05.jpeg
    49AD6E6D-8568-4A75-B0EA-8316A5975A05.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 26
Hello everyone.

I was going through some of my holiday snaps yesterday from Maui and was wondering about the bird on the left. I'm confident that the bird on the right is an Amakihi. My guess is that the bird on the left may be the same but appears to have a shorter and lighter bill. Maybe a female? Or is it something else?
The only other possibility is an Alauahio but I'm not convinced.

Over to you experts........

Thanks in advance.
Shane
I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd say they are both Amakihi, based on BOW comments that "Maui ‘Alauahio bill short, straight, and sepia colored with pinkish tomium; Hawai‘i ‘Amakihi bill longer, decurved, and dark blue-gray, with tomium pale gray, never pink. ‘Amakihi leg color dark blue-gray, never pink-brown." Check the photos in BOW.

I thought immature amakihi as they seem often to have thicker, less curved bills. However, the other species looks very similar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back