• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird id - europe (1 Viewer)

Alvaenerle

Poland
This is a bit of an unusual id question, but my friends and I have been wondering for a while what this yellow throated bird in his mug is. We tried searching but i couldnt find any bird that would match. Do you have any ideas what it could be? (I assume its a european bird scince the rest of the birds on the mug are)IMG-20230717-WA0010.jpg

Looks like a Stonechat with the colours a bit wrong - should be more rusty red/orange than yellow, but otherwise fits pretty well (though posture is a bit odd, but it could be based on an old painting, which often got posture wrong compared to living birds because they were based on mounted dead specimens)

I did think after posting that the head/bill shape and posture could be better for Whinchat, but I thought it didn't have enough of a white supercilium! And was probably thinking that if the yellow was faded from red then the brown could also be faded from black...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back