• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird id please (1 Viewer)

Dingoblu

need help with the id of a small bird I observed on the shore of the river this morning. It was roughly 8 inches tall brown overall with lighter breast and white bar on wings. dark legs and and long dark bill. watched it for a while working its way along the shore line quick movements and rapid wing beats.

Location of northern New York state, St. Lawrence river region.

My first impression from your description would be Spotted Sandpiper - young bird or non-breeding plumage - apart from the dark legs. Leg colour can be hard to observe, though. Were the wingbeats quite stiff? Sanderling is another possibility, but river location makes this less likely - however I don't know the geography of your area, is the coast nearby?

MSA said:
My first impression from your description would be Spotted Sandpiper - young bird or non-breeding plumage - apart from the dark legs. Leg colour can be hard to observe, though. Were the wingbeats quite stiff? Sanderling is another possibility, but river location makes this less likely - however I don't know the geography of your area, is the coast nearby?

Yes the wingbeats were quite stiff, I noticed that as it flew away that it seemed short and abrupt in flight almost.

We are quite a distance from the coast. Our river eventually dumps into the Atlantic, but not near us:)

Thanks for the info, and I'll try to get close enough for a photo next time I see one.

Larry Lade said:
Sounds like a Spotted Sandpiper to me also.

the coloring and the distinctive white on the wing sounds like sanderling, but the stiff wingbeat and the location say sandpiper.. also the coloring would be more for winter plumage on the SS unless immature birds have the same coloring?

The Spotted Sandpiper has a very distinct flight pattern. A few quick wing beats, then with winged bowed slightly downward it glides, then a few more quick wing beats, then glide. Also they have a very distinct white wing marking when in flight.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back