• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird names that make non-birders giggle (1 Viewer)

Bird Boy

Red-shafted Flicker
Blue-footed Booby
any Tit (an American thing)
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Red-cockaded Woodpecker
Clark's Nutcracker (ouch)
Woodcock
I know there are more.
My favorite is the Wandering Tattler. Man, you just can't tell them anything without it getting around. Giggle, giggle.

Yes, tits and shags in the UK as we'd never see a booby here... and bearded tits have everyone falling around. One or two books try to call them bearded reedlings but it's never going to catch on, is it?

We've resorted to calling them baardmans when in among the reedbeds - the Dutch name - as it's quite fun and avoids any titilation!

We don't dare call them tits here, they are known as Chickadees. Oddly, there are wrentit, titmouse and, do I dare say? Bushtit..

In an episode of "I Love Lucy", she claimed to have been bitten by a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.

I was just informed that we rarely get a Siberian Tit here. Burrr... I thought it was just happy to see me.

Last edited:
In UK, yep, people laugh at tits, particularly 'bearded tits' :)

Also not a bird but apparently the 'fat balls' are getting some giggles from teenagers :)

in the throws of Migrant spotting two years ago I typed 'Swallow - first date?' into the Google search engine...

wouldn't recommend it in polite company :eek!:

Watch out for that dickcissel - it's a doozy (so I hear)

I had forgotten about the Dickcissel. I belly crawled 1/4 of a mile across a field to get a pic of a Dickcissel. (Will that statement be on the net, now?)

I photographed some birds on fat balls for a company based in the UK. (Will that statement be on the net, too?). Do they come in blue? Fat balls with a Hairy Woodpecker...no surprise, there.

Last edited:
If you was out for a beer with a non-birder and told them that earlier in the day you'd had a brief glimpse of an unidentified Turdus you might get a funny look!!

Andean and Guinean Cock-of-the-rock have always been favourites with me and have been popular amongst my mates that I've told the name to.

Joseph

When you mention you saw brown boobies on your trip to the Caribbean...

And a friend and I used to greet each other with "How's your dickcissel?"

But the worst is telling someone you saw a great tit on a trip to Asia. The response often is "just one?"

Brown Boobies make me giggle, never mind non-birders.
You could make them up in pub conversation too...Barge-Arsed Swamphen or Thick Headed Wrattlewren.
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back