• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird names that make non-birders giggle (1 Viewer)

I once managed to persuade some non-birding friends to join me on a guided tour in Mull. Amongst all the White Tailed and Golden Eagles a discussion of Shag jizz caused much hilarity

... a discussion of Shag jizz caused much hilarity

I'm writing a guide to natural history as part of my master's project and I must say my committee members (all non-birders) gave me some odd looks when they saw the bird identification section entitled "Bird GISS". I guess some of us just try to ID birds by any means possible!

Cheers,
Benji

PS - I also remember some odd looks when my dad and I started jumping up and down shouting "Brown Boobies, Brown Boobies!" while staring at a topless beach through our binoculars down in Mexico. I was only 13 and the birds were lifers for both of us.

Last edited:
I see that I have opened up a can of worms...

There are cures for these, now..
Spotted Redshank
Common Greenshank

Red-footed Booby--surely, someone has done cartoon drawings of boobies by now.

Oldsquaw ? That's just rude

Not sexually oriented but, I think that the Plain Chachalaca should be renamed the Boom Chachalaca

I’m sorry, but all the “embarrassing" bird names quoted thus far are mere commonplace and hackneyed compared to the relatively obscure block buster known to the cognoscenti – a name of true toe curling embarrassment.

Ladies and gentlemen I give you Wattled Crane! Underwhelmed? Well, consider it’s scientific name. The second element – carunculatus – is, not unreasonably, formed from Latin for a wattle. The first element, this time from Greek, is equally reasonably formed from oxen (bous) and crane (geranos). Obviously it’s a crane and evidently one that has a loud vaguely ox-like call. Put them together and follow the grammatical rules and you get …. roll of drums …. Bugeranus!

What I’ve never been able to discover is whether this gloriously vulgar concoction was a ghastly error dreamt up by some innocent German or French scholar unaware of the English connotation or, as I fervently hope, it’s a deliberately outrageous moniker knowingly foisted upon the world of science. Unfortunately many taxonomists reject this family place the species within Grus. Is this a strict adherence to taxonomic niceties or an example of squeamish embarrassment by the scientific establishment?

Bearded Tits got a lot of my friends chuckling when I posted a photo on my Facebook page a few months ago.

Not risque, but since seeing one in Australia a couple of years back I still grin at the thought of the Spangled Drongo...

Is that an offer?

Bristle-thighed Curlew -Who hasn't encountered one of those?
Hoary Redpoll
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Black Noddy

Last edited:
I just found one of my pics showing one of my Cardinals with fat balls. Even the Chickadee likes them. I just had to share it, makes me so proud.

Attachments

• CARDINAL-1.jpg
    CARDINAL-1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I see that I have opened up a can of worms...

There are cures for these, now..
Spotted Redshank
Common Greenshank

Red-footed Booby--surely, someone has done cartoon drawings of boobies by now.

Oldsquaw ? That's just rude

Not sexually oriented but, I think that the Plain Chachalaca should be renamed the Boom Chachalaca

Boom Chachalaca! Love it! Going to us it even. I have nothing to contribute, but a hearty thanks for the giggles!

I like the Pygmy-Tyrants. Sounds like an employee in the Department of Motor Vehicles, or Hospital.
I have to admit that the first time I saw a Chachalaca my first thought was Boom!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back