• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of Prey ID: Northern Spain (1 Viewer)

Be grateful if anyone can identify this bird of prey seen while walking in Northern Spain during the last week of May. Not the best of pictures I'm afraid!
Many thanks.

Attachments

• BirdofPrey.jpg
    BirdofPrey.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 338
  • BirdofPrey2.jpg
    BirdofPrey2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 412
Tail looks awfully long, and head looks quite slender, could this be Honey Buzzard? Never seen one perched up so really unsure, and the overall slender look could just be down the it being sleeked down on a hot day. Any thoughts?

Looks more like Bonelli's in the head and bill area than CB to me, and taill a bit long too. A check of Forsman (1999) lends weight to that ID.

Cheers

Common Buzzard imo
wingtips almost reaching tail (which is longer in juvenile birds, so this may be a second cal.year bird), in Bonelli's Eagle tail projection should be even longer

Just for comparison here is a perched juv Bonelli's I had last year. Much longer tail.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 210
Common Buzzard imo
wingtips almost reaching tail (which is longer in juvenile birds, so this may be a second cal.year bird), in Bonelli's Eagle tail projection should be even longer

Tail looks much longer than primaries for me. (Long rounded end, 7 bars + faded? dark tip).

It could just be the way it's holding it's wings, and the foreshortening effect may contribute. How much longer should tail be in juv Buzzard be? (I suppose images of perched birds to compare would be useful.)

(That mottled grey on wings/mantle looks nice for Bonelli's too of course, but C Buzzards are of course very variable ..)

Last edited:
Can you narrow down a little bit "Northern Spain"? Distribution could also help as Bonelli's are absent or rare in many areas from that huge part of the country, while Common Buzzard are present everywhere in it.

Be grateful if anyone can identify this bird of prey seen while walking in Northern Spain during the last week of May. Not the best of pictures I'm afraid!
Many thanks.

Last edited:
Structure, proportions and plumage all point clearly to Common Buzzard. The environs and choice of perch are helpful too.

Attachments

• Buzzard-1 (190813)_neat (JH).jpg
    Buzzard-1 (190813)_neat (JH).jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 124
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back