• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of prey, Italian Alps (1 Viewer)

TomMalcC

Saw this from Rifugio Champillon, above Aosta, Italy earlier this week. Was told by a local farmer this was a 'gxxxxx?? falcon' - didn't quite understand what he was saying.

Can anyone id?

Thanks

TomC

Attachments

• f40bc32f-2dc2-48fa-a524-41d8017e7c65.jpeg
    f40bc32f-2dc2-48fa-a524-41d8017e7c65.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 84
  • daf6247e-fd8b-457a-9c49-d35c278e72f3.jpeg
    daf6247e-fd8b-457a-9c49-d35c278e72f3.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 85
Hello Tom,

I agree with the farmer. The choice is between the similar Common and Lesser Kestrel.

(When identifying a falcon its often good to think its a Kestrel and only then thinking why it isnt one, with Hobby and Peregrine the next common species in many parts of central Europe. Yes, thats a very rough rule of thumb, but I hope this is helpful)

Location favours Common Kestrel, but for excluding the rarer Lesser Kestrel with confidence better wait for others. Thanks from me too!

Hello Tom,

I agree with the farmer. The choice is between the similar Common and Lesser Kestrel.

(When identifying a falcon its often good to think its a Kestrel and only then thinking why it isnt one, with Hobby and Peregrine the next common species in many parts of central Europe. Yes, thats a very rough rule of thumb, but I hope this is helpful)

Location favours Common Kestrel, but for excluding the rarer Lesser Kestrel with confidence better wait for others. Thanks from me too!
Thanks Alexander, that's really helpful.

It didn't seem to have the 'hovering' style of a kestrel, rather seemed to drift on the breeze.

Tom

A long-debunked 'feature'.
What always surprises me is that these type of features were considered visually diagnostic for many decades before modern scientific methods proved otherwise ; and were put up by the most authorities ornithologists at the time. It was certainly relevant when I first travelled to the Mediterranean in the 70s. How times change.

What always surprises me is that these type of features were considered visually diagnostic for many decades before modern scientific methods proved otherwise ; and were put up by the most authorities ornithologists at the time. It was certainly relevant when I first travelled to the Mediterranean in the 70s. How times change.
FWIW, a BRW was found at Canary Wharf Oct ‘01, it was ID’d primarily on pp being half the overlying tertial length, longer UTC’s, also agility and movement in the trees to be more Phyllosc like (agile), unlike RW.
According to Lit. at the time, a dark tip to the bill and concolourous upper-parts were almost mandatory, it had neither of these features what’s more, it’s rump when seen (only the once) was “warm”.
Does make you wonder how many other “requisite gems” are out there? 😮

Interesting, I wasn't aware - do you have a reference or example please Butty?
Not 'debunked' as such but neither Forsman (Raptors of Europe and the Middle East) nor Duivendijk (Advanced Bird ID Handbook: the Western Palearctic) mention the feature as a diagnostic identification criterion. These 'omissions' are probably telling.

RB

Not 'debunked' as such but neither Forsman (Raptors of Europe and the Middle East) nor Duivendijk (Advanced Bird ID Handbook: the Western Palearctic) mention the feature as a diagnostic identification criterion. These 'omissions' are probably telling.

RB
Thanks RB - that's useful, I must admit I hadn't checked in those two books. I will remove the tail feature from my annotated Collin's guide!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back