• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of prey, Khao Yai National Park, Thailand (1 Viewer)

rubatroid

United Kingdom
My friend sent this photo to me of a very distant bird of prey (photo heavily cropped) seen at Khao Yai earlier today. I'm not sure, possibly Osprey? Wing shape doesn't look quite right to me (too broad?) but not sure what else it could be. Thanks

unnamed.jpg

Quite certain - plumage, jizz and number of visible primaries are all wrong for Osprey. I suspect it is Oriental HB but difficult with such a small image.
Still believe is closer to osprey from image- do agree about primaries but everything else seems osprey. I also believe the primaries might be due to how it’s flying.

Tail also looks too "full" for Osprey IMO. As said above, a full sized image would help, even if it doesn't have better resolution.

How familiar are you with raptors in SE Asia? I'm happy to be proved incorrect when a better image appears, but it is clearly not an Osprey.
To be honest not 100% but I don’t think the image is enough to rule out osprey- pretty good on the oriental honey buzzard though. I’m not stating it’s not a OHB just don’t think that this picture looks like a OHB.

I think we need the image a little enlarged- I’m probably wrong as I have never seen this bird on the field- only the osprey.

Thanks for all the comments. I agree jizz just looks wrong for Osprey, even though the head could be imagined into one πŸ˜…

I suddenly recalled that WhatsApp reduces picture quality, so asked my friend to email the photo to me. And she also sent me a few 'worse' photos of the same bird. Having looked at them, I'd go with OHB, but welcome people's thoughts

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 49
  • image0.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 38
  • image2.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
  • image3.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 29
  • image4.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
  • image6.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 35
I’ve change my mind- agree with oriental honey buzzard, just a very pale morph.

Attachments

• 5D3246ED-18EA-47C8-AAB5-860EE1806D12.jpeg
    5D3246ED-18EA-47C8-AAB5-860EE1806D12.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 26
I do not know anything about raptors from Thailand, but this juvenile bird moulting inner primaries has a bit too many fingers for OHB, look at the Hawk-eagles imho (but again no Asian field experience)
I think you are right Tom, I seem to remember seeing Changeable in Khao Yai.

It looks like six fingers to me, which fits with OHB? The other things that point to OHB for me are the smallish head with an 'eye stripe' (which I think fits with other OHB pale morphs that I've seen photos of), and not very rounded wings / not much of an 'armpit' (which I'd expect CHE to have). The other point worth noting (although less important) is that CHE seems to be a lot less common in Khao Yai compared to OHB (according to eBird illustrated checklist for this area)

Thanks for all the comments. I agree jizz just looks wrong for Osprey, even though the head could be imagined into one πŸ˜…

I suddenly recalled that WhatsApp reduces picture quality, so asked my friend to email the photo to me. And she also sent me a few 'worse' photos of the same bird. Having looked at them, I'd go with OHB, but welcome people's thoughts
In all of the photos you have posted here (#9) the bird is about 5% of the pixels and sky is about 95%. So if we look at your photos we have to pay (our ISP) to download all your blue sky pixels. So, for the future, may I request that you cut/crop the bird from the photo and just post the bird! Even if they are your friend's photos, you can do this after you have got them from her. The reason your photos do not appear as thumbnails but as blue image / attachment files is because they are above the BirdForum size limit.

And...surely it's an Osprey.

Apart from the face pattern, the white leading edge on the inner wing is distinctive, I think (as can be seen in Earnest Lad's improved photo in #16). And everything else fits, too. Added two photos of mine, of which I think the first looks just like the OP's photo.

Although if Tom, Larry and Andy don't see it as an Osprey straight off, I'm a bit worried...

110202011 Nara Ponds.JPG111023012 Nara Ponds.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back