• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of prey over my garden in Sevenoaks, Kent UK (1 Viewer)

Oaks79

United Kingdom
Hi can someone please identify this bird for me please, it flew over my garden this morning, I'm in Sevenoaks, Kent. We have had a lone Parakeet in the tree the last few days so wonder if this bird was after that.

Also would this bird be able to take a chihuahua ?

Attachments

• PXL_20240124_095114471.mp4
    13 MB
Hi can someone please identify this bird for me please, it flew over my garden this morning, I'm in Sevenoaks, Kent. We have had a lone Parakeet in the tree the last few days so wonder if this bird was after that.

Also would this bird be able to take a chihuahua ?
Can't see your video, only sound.

Most likely a Red Kite or Sparrowhawk though. Your Chihuahua should be safe in either case ...

You may find the above helpful. Red Kites tend to eat carrion but sometimes take small birds and rabbits.

In my area, there have been instances of people throwing chicken carcasses for the kites in gardens, which really isn’t to be recommended.

Thanks everyone 👍. The chihuahua is my neighbours and she was worried, tbh I wouldn't mind if it went for a trip with the bird bloody yapping all time (joking).

So what does the Red Kite eat ?
Amazing birds to watch!! Dumfries and Galloway (Scotland) has a Red Kite trail and also a feeding station, and it’s absolutely amazing to see them. They do get fed meat sometimes and I think they hunt a lot of road kill(?). Don’t quote me on that though haha! The giveaway for the kite is the tail. ☺️

Attachments

• IMG_4876.MOV
    14.8 MB
Shakespeare refers to red kites and crows on the streets of London. The kites fed on discarded food like gulls at a rubbish tip. They also snatched linen from washing lines as bedding for the nests. The chihuahua is safe but your Y-fronts are in imminent peril 😂

Just 'kites'.
Interesting.

Quick google search says that historically Black Kite has never bred in the UK (it has very recently I believe as a rarity)

And eg

Just assumed the bard was refering to a red kite. Didn’t occur to me they may have been black kites. Is this a long standing debate in the birding world?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back