• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird smaller than Crow identifications (1 Viewer)

Hemang

Bird observer
India
Hello all,
I saw a fully black bird in the morning on the tree, it was smaller than House Crow and it's bill was small, and in sitting on branch it's tail was squared.
I saw it in Rajkot, Gujarat in India on this Saturday.

How about a juvenile greater racket-tailed drongo? Juveniles don't have the outside tail streamers and aren't as shiny.
See our Opus page
(No photos of juveniles there, but the tail would look like the third photo on that page, which is a borneo subspecies that also lacks tail streamers)

How about a juvenile greater racket-tailed drongo? Juveniles don't have the outside tail streamers and aren't as shiny.
See our Opus page
(No photos of juveniles there, but the tail would look like the third photo on that page, which is a borneo subspecies that also lacks tail streamers)
Extremely unlikely to be Greater Racket-tailed since its out of range, nearest are in S Gujarat where its an uncommon resident.

Grahame

Greater Racket-tailed since its out of range, nearest are in S Gujarat where its an uncommon resident.
Yes, Greater Racket Tailed Drongo are not seen here, but common drongo are locals and it might be a juvenile, it looked like third photo from OPUS nartreb shared, but it's bill was more shorter.

I don't remember correctly, but it had red eyes or red inside bill, it was repeatedly scratching it's feathers with bill
And i hadn't seen or heard that many koel in Winter season, but they are local.

Indian Robin may be worth considering as well. It's not fully black but the small patches of other colours may not be obvious at certain angles. But the red on this is under the tail, not on the head.

Few days ago, I saw similar kind of bird on different tree and now I'm sure It might be Cormorant, it can be Indian shag or smaller species

Users who are viewing this thread

Back