• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sarus Crane Identification (1 Viewer)

Hemang

Bird observer
India
Hello all,
Today morning, I saw a big bird flying near to ground, about 10-15m, and it was whole white bird (don't remember wing colour) with red neck and sharp bill. Wing span was really large, bird bigger than vulture for reference.
I tried searching for it in book of indian birds by Salim Ali, and i only could find one bird like this- it was sarus crane, but I don't know if they are seen locally here, never saw any. I am in Rajkot, Gujarat. And do they visit here in winter? Also I read they are mostly flying in family or in pair but Bird I saw was flying solo.

Please help me identify this bird, thank you:)

Hello all,
Today morning, I saw a big bird flying near to ground, about 10-15m, and it was whole white bird (don't remember wing colour) with red neck and sharp bill. Wing span was really large, bird bigger than vulture for reference.
I tried searching for it in book of indian birds by Salim Ali, and i only could find one bird like this- it was sarus crane, but I don't know if they are seen locally here, never saw any. I am in Rajkot, Gujarat. And do they visit here in winter? Also I read they are mostly flying in family or in pair but Bird I saw was flying solo.

Please help me identify this bird, thank you:)
Could well be sarus crane. There are 3 cranes in your area. They are common crane, demoiselle crane and Sarus crane. None are white. Sarus is pale grey but it's the only one with a red upper neck and head. In contrast, common crane only has a small patch of red on its head. Demoiselle has no red at all. This:

shows you the sorts of things you might see. It has a link to photos and information about each species.

Yes, it might be grey, might have confused it with white, and thank you so much for link to the species seen in Rajkot:)
I think it will be definitely Sarus Crane as it's neck was totally Red and that's for sure!

is "Omid" definitely dead? (the last of Western Siberian Cranes who wintered in Iran since last year and then got missed). If there really was much red on its neck then forget about this. Siberian Cranes are white.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back