• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird sound in Thailand (1 Viewer)

Scabace

Hey guys n gals.

My wife and I recently came back from a trip around Thailand.
One of the locations we stayed at was on the river kwai yai, just down south from the famous Erawan falls.
While kayaking on the river, we heard this eerie high pitched drawn out note from deep in the trees, bushes etc on the river bank. Sometimes it sounded a bit two tone, sometimes the high pitch then a lower pitch.
I've tried searching what it could be with no luck, maybe thinking it might be a Pitta of some kind. But I really have no idea.
I'll try and attach the audio file (if that's possible) and would really appreciate any help in I.D.ing the bird, if indeed it is a bird!
Sorry for the talking on the clip, but hopefully you can hear what I'm on about :)
Thanks in advance.
Steve

Attachments

• AudioCutter_2024-01-10 15_40 the whistle bird.mp3
    1.3 MB
I am reliably informed that it's very likely a Common Iora (thanks to Phil Round) with an audible drop in pitch at the end of one of the strophes. Common Iora (Aegithina tiphia) :: xeno-canto

Message to self I need headphones!

Grahame
Yeah I can hear similarities with some of the Common Iora recordings there, thanks 👍🏼
The pitch doesn't fit exactly though, our recording seems higher, but I'm sure there's room for variation.
😁

Just checked out some recordings on YouTube and they do have quite a varied repertoire, including what we recorded!
Cool!! Thanks for helping solve this mystery 😁👍🏼
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back