• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Visitation Post Death, ID Needed Please (1 Viewer)

rsalguero

Spain
My mother died in Madrid on September 2. Just after, the posted bird below made daily visits to my father and us. It’s about the size of a sparrow, but it’s coloring throws me. It tends to run a circuit between perching on a palm tree cutting, lawn feeding, time in my mother’s prized cherry tree, and on the back of a chair near us on the terrace. Any help identifying this lovely creature would be deeply appreciated. Rick8334F7EC-C9D1-40F8-BC5F-F1E17A18DAB5.jpeg

Attachments

• 13E42B23-88DD-4632-9B05-1D51340F4B69.jpeg
    13E42B23-88DD-4632-9B05-1D51340F4B69.jpeg
    875.3 KB · Views: 33
Hey Rick, it's a Pied Flycatcher
Thank you very much for this identification. It comes as a surprise as I’ve never heard of it. While the general flycatcher birds I checked out online look like a fit, there seems to be one exception. Our little bird has a small black collar. Also, it’s been seen pecking for something in our lawn. Are there perhaps any other options? I really appreciate your help.
Hey Rick, it's a Pied Flycatcher

Thank you so much for your kind words. I know very little about bird identification, but what throws me on the flycatcher is the little black thrust bow tie on my image. Is that variance consistent?

Thank you so much for your kind words. I know very little about bird identification, but what throws me on the flycatcher is the little black thrust bow tie on my image. Is that variance consistent?
It's hard to tell from the photos but I think I see what you mean. It's not clear what is causing the dark area on the throat. It could be a photographic effect, or dark feather bases or just dirt. It could also be a plumage anomaly. The rest of the bird looks totally normal for Pied Flycatcher.

Something seems to have happened to the photo: there's a strange black mark covering the bill, as well as the black mark on the throat. It's not possible to say why they're there, so it's best to ignore them.

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like :)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back