• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding around El Calafate late December (2 Viewers)

We had to postpone this trip as the main purpose was a cruise to Antarctica, and all such activities had been cancelled. However, we managed to get on one of the first such cruises with our ship from Oceanwide Expeditions leaving Ushuaia on 26 November 2021. As I had planned all around the original cruise before, I had to reconsider all the decisions made earlier. One such decision was to simplify the Argentine part due to the insecurities that came with Covid restrictions. So the El Chalten/Calafate part was not reactivated. As we knew we'd see glaciers and icebergs on the cruise, this was the easiest part to leave out. We knew we'd need more of a buffer prior to the ship's departure, so this was where we "found" the required time. I'll post more in the furure.

Meanwhile, my trip report can be found here: Antarctica cruise and Argentina Nov-Dec 2021

Fortunately, we did get the Magellanic Plover anyway, but only thanks to some extra dedication by our guide Esteban Daniels!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back