• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding at Loch of Kinnordy (1 Viewer)

Sorry for being off this topic but if gus is still reading I replied to your question about the Czech Rep. Must try to get up to Kinnordy - that's a stoter of a pic. We had a family group near Musselburgh for a while last year but no sign so far this winter.

Ben Nevis - I was also in the hide today (I'm the one that Gus has seen as many birds this year, as I have on my life list). Here's a few of my Smew shots. Shame the light was so poor when the bird came in close.

Attachments

• 8327169684_4b8a25e10e_c.jpg
    8327169684_4b8a25e10e_c.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 8326108515_9c7d967063_c.jpg
    8326108515_9c7d967063_c.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 8327171260_d849649946_c.jpg
    8327171260_d849649946_c.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 8326110343_7ff6f0f571_c.jpg
    8326110343_7ff6f0f571_c.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 8327168812_445cc0e344_c.jpg
    8327168812_445cc0e344_c.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 69
He seems to be more comfortable there this year doesn't he - last time he was way over the far side and really hard to see.

Cracking photos coming through - thanks Barry.

Ben Nevis - I was also in the hide today (I'm the one that Gus has seen as many birds this year, as I have on my life list). Here's a few of my Smew shots. Shame the light was so poor when the bird came in close.

I remember you now..! :-O
Great shots all the same.At one point,I thought he was going to come right over to the Hide.The closest I have seen a drake Smew.

Great shots, Barry - good to see the Smew has returned again this winter.

I have also been watching Gus's yearlist with envy. He is well clear of my life total! (I like to think that I have more scope to see a lifer;))

Great shots, Barry - good to see the Smew has returned again this winter.

I have also been watching Gus's yearlist with envy. He is well clear of my life total! (I like to think that I have more scope to see a lifer;))

was great to see so many familiar faces at Kinnordy today....only wish I could have had more time to chatter though.
I have been lucky to get such a good yearlist..though it took a fair bit of planning and grabbing a chance at some birds when I was out and about working.
Having a daughter who is keen on birding helps too, at least I get less grief at home if she is with me !
I think this coming year i'll do a County list..at a slightly easier pace !

It was good seeing so many people today. Pity my camera was in the house!!! Thats obviously why it came so close to the hide haha. Was good to see it at that range.
Most of the other birds were along at the swamp end which is still very difficult to get to without wellies.
Other birds seen were whooper swans, mute swans, goosander, teal, cormorant, mallard,buzzard, siskin, goldeneye, tufties, common gulls, reed bunting.
I will be back on wednesday with my camera!! Bet HE stays well away!!

Darell

As we come to the end of 2012, could i say a happy new year to everyone who reads this thread and wish you luck for 2013. Good luck with your lists for next year, going near or far to get them!!!

Darell

I was up at kinnordy for a few hours today and it was foggy and wet. Again, most of the ducks seem to prefer the swamp end of the reserve with whooper swans, mute swans, mallard, teal, greylag geese and wigeon. We stayed in the gallery hide and we saw goo sander, tufts, goldeneye, cormorant and common gulls.
We couldn't find the smew and Gus didn't see it yesterday, so maybe he has gone to try somewhere else. Hope not.
We stayed for a couple of hours before heading to Backwater Reservoir where we saw Black throated diver, bullfinch and 2 crossbills. We then went back to kinnordy for another couple of hours.
There is a flock of redpoll flying around the reserve, mainly feeding to the left of the gallery hide.
Other birds seen today were buzzard, kestrel, pheasant, blackbird, wren, goldcrest, reed bunting, crow, jackdaw, rook, lapwing, chaffinch, blue tit, siskin, great tit and wood pigeon.

Darell

Aaargh must have just missed you both - got there at the back of 2ish.

The sun was shining!

Managed a poor picture of a male Bullfinch in the tree above the hide (when was that re-named Darrel?);)

I got a rarity tick in Ian Hay and will maybe have an armchair tick later on too.

Happy New Year to everyone on this thread B :)... not sure I'm including Ben in that though, as he excluded me from his greeting;) :-C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back