• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Brussels (1 Viewer)

Flycatcher 123

Scotland
I'm planning to visit Brussels in the March.
Has anyone got an idea of a good place to spot birds (particularly ones not found in Britain) near the city centre of Brussels.
I've also heard that Parc Leopold should have good birds - is that right?
Any response appreciated!
Thanks!

Parc Tournay-Solvay and Étangs de Boitsfort - a short distance south of the city centre. Boitsfort station is right next to the park.

Park and areas of mature woodland with lakes - I had turtle dove there in summer 2019, but a March visit should be good for woodpeckers, short-toed treecreeper etc. There's also a nice brasserie for lunch across the road from the east end of the étangs.

Have a look at Brussels Hoofdstedelijk Gewest (BR)
This site should be your guide for birding in Belgium (I've narrowed it down to Brussels).
Short-toed Treecreeper, Firecrest, Middle Spotted and Black Woodpecker are probably the best birds within the limits of the Brussels Capital Region for someone from Scotland.
Parque Léopold looks like a waste of time for birds.

I wouldn't consider going to Parc Léopold for birding either.
For woodpeckers, I'd try starting either from Parc Tournay-Solvay / Étangs de Boitsfort as suggested above, or from the Rouge-Cloître (Auderghem -- there is a reasonably close metro station), and wandering into the nearby Sonian forest.

A Turtle Dove within Brussels is a really good record.

(Note that this site has had "network connectivity issues" since yesterday evening, and isn't currently working properly.
EDIT - Problems have been resolved.)

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider going to Parc Léopold for birding either.
For woodpeckers, I'd try starting either from Parc Tournay-Solvay / Étangs de Boitsfort as suggested above, or from the Rouge-Cloître (Auderghem -- there is a reasonably close metro station), and wandering into the nearby Sonian forest.

A Turtle Dove within Brussels is a really good record.

(Note that this site has had "network connectivity issues" since yesterday evening, and isn't currently working properly.)
I realise I should've put it on eBird or a local site now, but it wasn't even a year list tick for me that year and I just assumed it was normal for the site (sat in a tree near the west end of the main étang and viewed from the path on the north bank, to be precise).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back