• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding halfway up the Alps (2 Viewers)

A hairless patch on a tail could mean the marten had a lucky encounter with something bigger and meaner!

Pretty good cat. Lots of complete stripes on body and legs, not broken up into spots. Tail is nicely tubular though a bit slimmer than I would hope: rings on it look pretty much OK.

Get that Wolf for us!

John

A hairless patch on a tail could mean the marten had a lucky encounter with something bigger and meaner!

Pretty good cat. Lots of complete stripes on body and legs, not broken up into spots. Tail is nicely tubular though a bit slimmer than I would hope: rings on it look pretty much OK.

Get that Wolf for us!

John
I'll do my best but I draw the line at using myself as the bait! While I've got your attention John what do you make of this cute little bunting seed thief?

Attachments

• Mickey.JPG
    Mickey.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 24
I'm not at my best with European voles but it seems to me it isn't very rufous and has not very prominent ears. Maybe Common Vole? What are the local options?

John
Thanks John. Yes, it was the lack of rufous tones that made me discount the Bank Vole that ravages the veg garden up at Mum in Law’s place! Looking at photos and records in our region and at this altitude it seems it’s Montane Water Vole:

Attachments

• IMG_1959.jpeg
    IMG_1959.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 6
Thanks John. Yes, it was the lack of rufous tones that made me discount the Bank Vole that ravages the veg garden up at Mum in Law’s place! Looking at photos and records in our region and at this altitude it seems it’s Montane Water Vole:
Must be quite big then, Water Voles are more or less Brown Rat size. I'd assumed it was more small vole size.

John

The unseasonably mild February continued until 22nd, when a couple of nights’ snowfall changed the landscape, the mountains had taken on a mid-April like look to them, ski resorts below 1500m looking particularly ugly with ribbons of snow running between grass or mud. On returning from a day’s birding around to Lac Neuchatel in nearby Switzerland on 18th it was 16°C in Annecy (!) so a drop in temperatures was a welcome return (temporarily at least) to more typical February weather. On 24th I walked up our lane to the farm where we’d found four Alpine Accentor on 2 January, taking my camera this time on the hunch that the snow had forced them down again. I was right for once, one nice adult A A was on an outbuilding roof when I arrived, later hopping about on some recently disturbed earth on a sunny slope. A recent paper in the LPO Ornithos magazine explains how to distinguish adults from 1st Winter/ 2nd year birds so that was a useful in the field lesson for me. Otherwise, not much to report except the first male Goshawk starting display in the valley and the arrival of Red Kite, hopefully I can track down where they nest near us this year. Mammal wise, the usual suspects since my last report and finally a couple of birds posed for their photos in front of the trail camera in daylight, nothing dramatic though, just Blackbird and Chaffinch!

Attachments

• Adulte acc alpin.jpg
    Adulte acc alpin.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0672.JPG
    DSCN0672.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 17
  • DSCN0691.JPG
    DSCN0691.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 14
  • 02230049.jpg
    02230049.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 02240070.JPG
    02240070.JPG
    668.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

John
Well, there's a thing - I've been asked by the LPO mammal expert to modify the cat sighting to a domestic moggy, he stated that it was too striped on the flanks and that the tail didn't fit with Wildcat.
Woe is me! It certainly doesn't belong to anyone and I've never seen it except on middle of the night camera captures, so it's living the 'wild life' at least!

Well, there's a thing - I've been asked by the LPO mammal expert to modify the cat sighting to a domestic moggy, he stated that it was too striped on the flanks and that the tail didn't fit with Wildcat.
Woe is me! It certainly doesn't belong to anyone and I've never seen it except on middle of the night camera captures, so it's living the 'wild life' at least!
The tail is maybe marginal in thickness but it is tubular right to the solid black tip. I don't know how aware European mammal people are of the good features of a proper Wildcat but they include:

- the dorsal stripe must terminate over the haunches and not extend onto the tail and/or into the rings, making them connected. On your cat the dorsal stripe is as good a Wildcat feature as I've ever seen.

- IMHO his point about stripes is entirely misdirected. Stripes on a Wildcat must be complete and not break up into spots and bars: the amount of striping is variable. Your cat looks great in this respect.

- the face cannot have more than the meanest amount of white around the chin and your cat doesn't.

The trailcam photos don't allow judgement of the head and nape stripes.

Personally I still think this is a Wildcat: given the rate of hybridisation across Europe you are unlikely to see a better one. Ask your mammal expert to show you his photo library for comparison purposes and make sure he is aware of the British analysis of pelage features.

John

Edit: PSB.

Last edited:

Wildcats in Germany and Switzerland, indeed, have no clear stripes on the flanks - these are found in British and Spanish wildcats. Also the tail of wildcats is a bit different - there are thin stripes at the base which change to very broad final stripes and the big black tail tip.

Wildcats in Germany and Switzerland, indeed, have no clear stripes on the flanks - these are found in British and Spanish wildcats. Also the tail of wildcats is a bit different - there are thin stripes at the base which change to very broad final stripes and the big black tail tip.
Thanks John and Jurek. I’ll have to look at some of my photos from the past couple of winters, perhaps I’ll end up scratching Wildcat off my Garden List :unsure:
Faune Aura has a nice daytime photo of what the local Wildcat should look like:

Attachments

• IMG_0840.jpeg
    IMG_0840.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 26
The first cows are out in the fields after their winter confinement so time for an end of winter update:

March
For once we actually did a couple of dusk searches a week apart for Pygmy Owl in the forest above our place at the start of the month but we drew a blank on both occasions. Compensation came in the form of Tawny Owl and Hazel Hen heard but not seen and some beautiful Song and Mistle Thrush song to serenade us as we redescended home in the dark.

Crag Martin were already back on the cliff face in Thônes on 11th, a brief after-supermarket stop there on 19th produced a glimpse of the wintering Wallcreeper, unfortunately flushed off the ledge on which it was preening by some boisterous Alpine Chough and impossible to find afterwards. I was actually on my way home after my first visit to the Rhône/Fier rivers junction that morning, too early for crakes of course (In France just Corsica and the Med coast had seen a couple of Little Crake up to that date so I was not really expecting to see any) but I thought I might get lucky with a Bluethroat, Penduline Tit or Garganey. Well, one out of three isn’t bad I suppose :oops: , wildfowl and wader numbers and variety were disappointing and as in 2023 I chose a morning when the hydro power station had ‘opened the taps’ meaning the water level was high leaving any muddy margins . Common Snipe was the only wader species seen but Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Cetti’s Warbler and Cirl Bunting were in full voice. It was interesting to see groups of Blue Tit heading north, at least 60 in the three hours I was there, a single Barn Swallow and both Kite species were seen migrating too. Best birds were the four Penduline Tit feeding on a tree with red catkins (any ideas botany fans?).

Sulens mountain across the valley from home started to produce a bit of variety after the winter period when the Black Grouse and Alpine Chough seem to be the only species present. Firstly, on the 20th while watching a lone male Black Grouse (apparently displaying to itself) I saw a Ring Ousel land next to it, followed by four more flying above the tree line. Common Buzzard began to display up there too and best of all two days later two Short-toed Snake Eagle slowly went north, my first March record here. No Wolf sightings yet though plenty of Chamois up there, including some of last year’s young playing on the snow as though in training for the next Winter Olympics.

Around the house the vole (still not sure what species it is) continues to pinch the bird seed I put on the slope behind the kitchen, while a Yellow-necked Mouse (I think) picks up sunflower seeds that the birds miss. A Brown Hare was munching the newly sprouted grass at the top of our field on 22nd and the Roe Deer seem to be less shy now hunting is over until next Autumn.

Attachments

• DSCN0935.JPG
    DSCN0935.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 13
  • DSCN0952.JPG
    DSCN0952.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • DSCN0973.JPG
    DSCN0973.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • wallcreeper Thônes Mar 24.jpg
    wallcreeper Thônes Mar 24.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
The twigs look like a poplar and some species have red catkins.
Thanks FT, I hope to return there for another 'Crake at it' ;) so will photograph the tree properly. Meanwhile, a few pics of local mammals this month:

Attachments

• DSCN0888.JPG
    DSCN0888.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0895.JPG
    DSCN0895.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN1004.JPG
    DSCN1004.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 7
  • DSCN1045.JPG
    DSCN1045.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 8
Winter is refusing to release its grip on us, 23 April and it’s snowing again, meaning some species that would normally be settling into their mountain summer residences are still stuck in the valleys. It was a milder than average winter, the local builder who comes and snowploughs the track connecting our place to the road when the snow is deep (around five or six times per winter) did not need to come once this season. The medium altitude ski resorts struggled to keep all their pistes open but seem to have had a good frequentation despite the lack of depth to the snow. This past two weeks it’s been strange watching species like Coal, Great and Blue Tit busy bringing nesting material to the boxes and cavities while the snow falls down, I hope the caterpillars are available at the right time for them. We had a few visits from Wryneck which looked out of place creeping along in the grass outside the house and sometimes digging for food like Green Woodpecker does sometimes.

I’ve volunteered to help the LPO with Black Grouse population census work this year, this entails three early morning visits to check particular sector/s allocated to different teams. My team's sector is not far from the Col de la Colombière (which I often mention on this thread), the road to the Col is closed from November to end May but luckily access to my area is along a track just short of the barrier that closes the road. As I hadn’t previously been there I decided to do a recce on 19th April so I didn’t lead the rest of my team astray on the first visit which was scheduled for 05h00 on 21st. I didn’t go at such a silly hour to do my investigation but was still up there before any other people were present (surprising as it’s school holidays in quite a few regions of France). If it wasn’t for the ski lift paraphernalia scarring the landscape it would be a magnificent spot, but it’s still pretty impressive and I saw some bits and pieces despite there only being a few patches of ground not covered by snow. The first part of the transect we have to follow was easy going, along a ski lift access track which had been recently cleared of snow, despite the resort having already closed till December. However the second part beyond the ski lift buildings, which on the map shows a footpath climbing up a small valley, looked more of a challenge, around a metre deep snow hiding any evidence of a path of any sort, I suspect we’ll be doing a lot of scanning from that point rather than donning snowshoes and trying to forge a way through, we‘ll see. Some mammal action consisted of a few hardy Chamois high on the crags and slopes plus a Marmot alarm calling as a Fox trotted elegantly across the white stuff. Bird highlights were a distant displaying Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush (my earliest ever by a few days), a Northern Wheatear, Rock Bunting and Yellowhammer feeding on the track, White Wagtail and Water Pipit trying to find food by the stream plus small groups of Linnet. A flash of white flying fairly high on a slope turned out to be two Snowfinch, I’m having a good year for them!Lower down towards the road were Fieldfare, Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, Black Redstart, Great Tit, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Siskin, Wren and Common Crossbill. I could see fresh Black Grouse tracks so an earlier start should do the trick this Sunday 28th April (21st was cancelled in the end due to the weather forecast!). The most unexpected sight I had was a tight group of 11 Coal Tit which appeared to be migrating together up the valley, I wondered how far they still had to go…

Attachments

• rockfou 3.jpg
    rockfou 3.jpg
    793.3 KB · Views: 7
  • niverolles 19.4.24.jpg
    niverolles 19.4.24.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 7
  • linotte 19.4.24.jpg
    linotte 19.4.24.jpg
    939.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Renard 2.JPG
    Renard 2.JPG