• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Northants (3 Viewers)

Sounds like a good bag Mark. No Ring Ouzels or Redstarts for me on my walk around the patch though two patch rarities in the form of a Cormorant and a pair of Red-legged Partridges. You've probably figured out that my patch is unlikely to trouble Summer Leys or Pitsford in the rare bird stakes!

Managed an excellent and prolonged view of the female Kingfisher though her partner was in blue bullet mode and sped off before I could get my bins on him. At least two Teal are hanging around though I expect they will be moving on soon. Buzzards continue to show well with a maximum of 6 soaring on one thermal.

The nicer conditions bought out the butterflies today and I saw my first female Brimstone of the year.

Watched a pair of Sparrowhawks displaying over the Village a little bit later on, can't help but think how lucky I am to have so many raptors around.

James.

I was in Norfolk yesterday and my sightings there prompted one question, what on earth do Spoonbills do that makes them so tired? The lazy beggars always seem to be sleeping when I see them.

Anyway after that digression it was back to the patch where Whitethroat had joined the familiar cast of characters taking the warbler total up to four. Pleased to see that the Grey Wags are still hanging around, am hoping to hear the pitter-patter of little wagtail feet in the future. Last weeks patch megas, the partridges were still loitering around close by feeding in the forecourt of a neighbouring car dealership.

No butterflies today, I think the weather was a little too grey and cool for them.

James.

A little too lazy to venture out today but from the garden did see the first local House Martins of the year, three were hawking insects over the Village. Other birds seen included Cormorant, Grey Heron and the usual raptors. Small numbers of Lesser Blacked-backed Gulls passing through with the largest group containing eleven birds.

James.

Still 2 Ring Ouzel, at Newnham hill, and at Daventry country park lots of Blackcap now singing , Willow warbler also, and Sedge Warbler, water Rail in the reeds in front of hide and a Green sandpiper just off the dam, on the edge of the new pond, also from the garden an orange tip Butterfly.

Mark

30 Little Gull at Daventry Res today must of been quite a sight ! ( Not seen by myself ) also a 1st year Ring billed Gull briefly, ...not sure I would of found this one too easily

Mark

Yeah that's a strange one, not an easy bird to misidentify but then again I don't know the circumstances. Hope it heads in my direction!

James.

No Bee-eater for me today on my morning walk around the area which began with a stroll around South Wood.

Whitethroats are now well established with many seen or heard during my travels. In the wood itself Marsh Tits and Treecreepers were the best of the bunch. In the large clearing next to Geddington road a male Wheatear was the highlight. They're pretty scarce locally as many of their former haunts have been developed. Plenty of singing Skylarks and a song flighting Meadow Pipit were also seen.

At the patch the regular pair of Swallows had returned but in truth it was a bit of a duffer today. The first brood of Moorhens had hatched and the pair of Grey Wagtails are still about.

Non bird stuff was mostly floral, a good display of Primrose, an excellent show of Bluebells and a few patches of Cowslips were noted. Finally a lot of Wild Strawberry in flower suggesting it could be a good year for Grizzled Skipper.

James.

Last edited:
A walk around Weldon this morning in beautiful sunny conditions. At the A43 pond three Tufties were still present along with about ten Gadwalls, the pair of swans are still about and that may explain why Greylag numbers had dropped to six. A Grey Heron was the only new bird at the pond itself but a reeling Grasshopper Warbler nearby was the star. Groppers, like yesterday's Wheatear are becoming much scarcer and I average about one record a year.

At the other pond there were only four Greylags and several Coots but the surrounding scrub held many warblers including at least two Garden.

Two new butterflies today, Orange-tip and Small White.

James.

First swifts today ( 4 ) , over Daventry Res, also there yesterday morning 3 Common Sandpiper and Wood warbler Singing well , but missed by myself :C

Mark

Having treated myself to a long weekend and suffered binocular failure on a trip to Derbyshire yesterday I sat off for the patch clutching one of my reserve pairs. Not too bad as it turned out with a couple of patch rarities to kick things off. Coot and Reed Bunting may not set the old pulse thumping but they're pretty good around here. A familiar rattle coming from a hawthorn led me to my first Lesser Whitethroat of the year and brought the patch total of warblers to five.

Nice to get a male Orange-tip, one Swallow may not make a summer but I always feel that a sighting of one of these beauties means it can't be that far away.

James.

Back in the county today and out on the patch. Not a classic by any means though a singing Garden Warbler was a new arrival. The Lesser Whitethroat count had risen to three while one of the Kingfishers treated me to a typically brief view.

The only butterflies on the wing were Orange-tips while a Muntjac wading across the stream was also of note.

Had to do a bit of gardening today and whilst hard at it (honest!) I caught sight of a whitethroat sp in a neighbours shrub. While I was still wondering if it was a garden first Whitethroat it gave out a hard "chack" and revealed itself to be a Lesser. A little later on a panicked flock of Starlings and a clucking Blackbird put me on to a low flying Sparrowhawk, had cracking views of a nice male.

James.

A quick look at Daventry Res before work this morning in between the heavy showers produced a nice Garden Warbler singing near the hide, lots of Swifts , House Martin , Swallows and Sand Martins a single Common Sandpiper and also on Saturday evening a single Hobby hunting low over the water. As expected the new hide has now been vandalised, although they are struggling a bit as this one is a steel container !

Mark

Last edited:
As expected the new hide has been vandalised, although they are struggling a bit as this one is a steel container !

Mark

Perhaps they ought to lock them in there for a few days, preferably when it's nice and hot. The local council don't do themselves any favours, the money they must have made from parking when the Honey Buzzard was there a few years back didn't go to replacing the burnt-out hide.

I had paid a visit to Summerleys, which I've since found out is now Summer Leys (!) yesterday and got a few shots of common stuff.

Attachments

• Common Tern.jpg
    Common Tern.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Gulls.jpg
    Gulls.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 56
Perhaps they ought to lock them in there for a few days, preferably when it's nice and hot. The local council don't do themselves any favours, the money they must have made from parking when the Honey Buzzard was there a few years back didn't go to replacing the burnt-out hide.

I had paid a visit to Summerleys, which I've since found out is now Summer Leys (!) yesterday and got a few shots of common stuff.

Hi Dave , yes it would be tempting regarding locking the culprits in , the hide has a nice hefty padlock on the door, which has to be permanantly locked now, but they have got round this by breaking the latches on the observation shutters from inside at some point and now climb through the shutters and do whatever they do in there.
On the positive side the new small Tern Rafts are now occupied by Common Terns ( Visible from the hide ) If you need a key for the hide at any point ask at the cafe for Tony ( The warden )

Regards from Mark

I can't believe how much effort some morons will put in when it comes to vandalising or destroying stuff. It's such a shame when the good work of people is undermined by the senseless acts of idiots of this calibre. Good news about the terns though.

James.

I spent a few hours at Summer Leys yesterday mainly photographing anything that moved. Heres my notable tally;

Water Rail
Great White Egret
Little Egret x 4
Redshank x 2
Little Ringed Plover
Hobby x 4
Med Gull

Attachments

• WRail.jpg
    WRail.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 42
  • GWE.jpg
    GWE.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 46
  • LE.jpg
    LE.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Med.jpg
    Med.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 56
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back