• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (1 Viewer)

Black necked grebe was still around at 7pm tonight. Never really came close enough for the shots I want of it, but that's just me...

Couple of shots of it below, and a couple of some other rubbish bird that flew over as I was stood watching the grebe, late morning. An osprey, I believe!

B :)

Would be nice if the grebe stayed around for a couple of days, and be better if it chose the smaller pool, as the light's better on that for pics.

Attachments

• IMG_2888.jpg
    IMG_2888.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2919.jpg
    IMG_2919.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2787.jpg
    IMG_2787.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2791.jpg
    IMG_2791.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 85
Got some more "sodding" pics today, as after several trips to see it, the grebe finally fished close to the road. Stuart was lurking in the woods too, so I suspect he'll have some gems too.

More can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/petewalkden/

B :)

Attachments

• IMG_3248.jpg
    IMG_3248.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3283.jpg
    IMG_3283.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 50
Nice work, Pete. I did manage to see it this morning. A handy addition to the year tally, but more importantly a really good bird for the local patch.

I carried on to the Wyre Forest, where things were fairly quiet. A few Wood Warblers were singing, along with the odd Tree Pipit. Saw a Common Redstart just past Lodge Hill Farm. No sign of Marsh Tit (not seen any in the forest this year), nor Pied Flycatcher (never seen one in the forest), but I did manage a Spotted Flycatcher in the meadow by Dowles Brook.

A few Speckled Yellow moths on the wing, plus one Speckled Wood butterfly, but nothing better. Two birders that I spoke to thought they had seen some Pearl-bordered Fritillaries flying, but I had no such luck.

Finally, paid a visit to Upton Warren. Little of note whilst I was there. Still, three additions to the year list was not bad reward, plus I've got a Lesser Whitethroat staked out near Hopwood, which I hope to catch up with soon.

Sylvia, the Adder lady

Does anyone know if Sylvia the Adder lady lives at the mill, or did Springwatch just use it for a backdrop?
Jackie

Does anyone know if Sylvia the Adder lady lives at the mill, or did Springwatch just use it for a backdrop?
Jackie

Hi Jackie,

After a touch of googling it would appear that she does live at the mill. I have often thought how lovely it would be to sit in that garden and watch the world and wildlife go by, the chairs and table always look inviting even in the Winter! It was good to see her on Springwatch last night! She came across as a pleasant and very clever Lady!

Great to see a familiar local (ish) area on Springwatch.

I wonder why the BBC were so reluctant to disclose the whereabouts of the feature? Using the words, "... a quiet corner of the West Midlands..."

SDC16414.JPG

SDC16416.JPG

SDC16417.JPG

A family flock ( 2 Ad + at least 1 juv) of Lesser Spotted Woodpecker seen at an undisclosed site in worcs today.
I will give no whereabouts of the birds to anyone but just thought it would be a nice thing to show that they are still around,
All photos videograbs + Note the 1st pic has both male + female bird!!!
MB

And while on the News of Breeders, on the 27/05 i was lucky enough to find a female Mandarin with 11 Chicks at Blackstone. i had been watching a flock of mandarin on the patch since 6/05, and i was certain they would breed. however as i was away over the following week after seeing the chicks i couldnt check the birds.
Sadly when i returned to the patch, every chick had been predated, and after 2 weeks of not seeing them i think it is fair to assume it was a failed attempt.
the female bird remains in the area but the drk is no longer present, therfore it is safe to assume breeding wont take place again this year at least..
MB

Nice one Craig. Wish I could find some around here. :-C

Well there might be some around by you, the woodland around arrow valley looks good tbh.

I went to see the birds again on thurs night, abit of friday, and again for about 10 mins this morning and had stunning views for alomst an hour ( on thurs night) showing either on trees or on the feeders, photos of male.
SDC16427.JPG

SDC16432.JPG
MB

On Thursday morning I saw a bird of prey perched on a telephone pole next to the A449 between Worcester and Kidderminster. I didn't get a good look at it (on my way to work), but I did notice it had a pale neck and upper breast with a broadish dark band going horizontally separating the two.
I've looked in loads of books and the only thing I can find that has this distinctive pattern is a pale phase Buzzard or an Osprey! Has anyone got any (probably much more sensible) ideas!

On Thursday morning I saw a bird of prey perched on a telephone pole next to the A449 between Worcester and Kidderminster. I didn't get a good look at it (on my way to work), but I did notice it had a pale neck and upper breast with a broadish dark band going horizontally separating the two.
I've looked in loads of books and the only thing I can find that has this distinctive pattern is a pale phase Buzzard or an Osprey! Has anyone got any (probably much more sensible) ideas!

H Michael - there is a wide variety of wonderfully coloured Buzzards in Worcestershire that vary considerably from the stated plumage in field guides. We had one at Upton Warren a few years ago that was so pale that it was mistaken for (amongst others) Osprey, Booted Eagle and Egyptian Vulture!! So I would suspect Buzzard; the circumstances fit in with their typical perching behaviour.

Phil

H Michael - there is a wide variety of wonderfully coloured Buzzards in Worcestershire that vary considerably from the stated plumage in field guides. We had one at Upton Warren a few years ago that was so pale that it was mistaken for (amongst others) Osprey, Booted Eagle and Egyptian Vulture!! So I would suspect Buzzard; the circumstances fit in with their typical perching behaviour.

Phil

Thanks

Ace shots of the lesser woodie, Craig. Saw one for the first time in ages this spring, over in Warwickshire. You forget how small they are.

Speaking of small, or in this case little... a new batch from Little Grump. Been watching them for a few days now, and they're fully mobile and very vocal!

More on my blog and Flickr site.

Attachments

• LittleOwletOpen.jpg
    LittleOwletOpen.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 87

Users who are viewing this thread

Back