• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (3 Viewers)

so due to the inactivity of this thread, does this mean there is no birders in worcester away from upton warren:-O:-Oo:)?????

i havent done anywhere away from upton for some time, not even the patch:eek!::eek!:.

MB

It is a quiet time for birding, but even so there seems to be a lack of news. I don't doubt that some good birds are being seen in Worcestershire, but I imagine that details aren't always being released on wider scale.

A pity.

It is a quiet time for birding, but even so there seems to be a lack of news. I don't doubt that some good birds are being seen in Worcestershire, but I imagine that details aren't always being released on wider scale.

A pity.

oh, dont get me wrong, i know its the quiet period for birding, but how better to kick-start a fourum with a bit of light harted banter:-O
and tbh, there aint much news of any 'good' birds around anyway, well lets hope for the autumn, anybody fancy a yank?????;)
MB

Blue and great tits seem to have bred very well this year round my patch.Last few days round Blakedown seen Green and Great spotted woodpecker,spotted flycatcher, fledgling gold finches, Linnets.Grebe and Moorhen both raising 3 young Whitethroat in good numbers as are skylarks and yelowhammer.Not seen a Kestel or Sparrowhawk for ages, regular buzzards, a lone male Bullfinch,goldcrest and nuthatch and treecreeper. No coal tits seen or grey wagtail. Unable to find any owls either.

Last edited:
At arrow valley lake on sunday, a single common tern was fishing all day, a reed warbler was singing by the visitor centre and there are loads of greylag goose.........
MB

Grimley new workings

An afternoon twitch today
2 KNOT were feeding distantly from the causeway, but a county and year tick, also a nice supporting cast, with 4 little egret, 2 LRP, 1 Green Sand, 1 Common Sand, and 2 Greenshank ( one of which gave nice views from the c'way), a single snipe and a juv Yellow Wagtail :t:
very nice hour or 2 spent with my new tripod :king:
MB

Went for a walk around Salwarpe on Sunday after overhearing Dave talking about spotted flies being in the area, and I'd not bagged a shot of one this year, other than a few distant ones in Scotland.

Fortunately for me, while I was wandering around failing to find any, Dave turned up and spend a good hour or so helping me look, and persistence paid off. We saw one in a small tree on the other side of the canal, which was unfortunately against the sun. Chancing it, I walked around to the other side and the bird remained for a few more minutes, allowing me to take some shots. See below.

I believe I owe you a pint Dave :t: B :)

Attachments

• IMG_5469.jpg
    IMG_5469.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5471.jpg
    IMG_5471.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5485.jpg
    IMG_5485.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 67
Went for a walk around Salwarpe on Sunday after overhearing Dave talking about spotted flies being in the area, and I'd not bagged a shot of one this year, other than a few distant ones in Scotland.

Fortunately for me, while I was wandering around failing to find any, Dave turned up and spend a good hour or so helping me look, and persistence paid off. We saw one in a small tree on the other side of the canal, which was unfortunately against the sun. Chancing it, I walked around to the other side and the bird remained for a few more minutes, allowing me to take some shots. See below.

I believe I owe you a pint Dave :t: B :)

Excellent shots Pete - they were trickier than usual on Sunday for some reason. I had a Garden Warbler there also on that day - the first one for that particular site this year. B :)

Somehow I managed to drag my horrendously unfit a** up North Hill earlier and thanks to Dave Jackson, managed to see and photo a Lapland bunting.

Great little bird - worth the effort. More pics on my gallery.

Attachments

• IMG_8229.jpg
    IMG_8229.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8279.jpg
    IMG_8279.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8307b.jpg
    IMG_8307b.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 80
Right- surely we cant let this thread go down the pot, upton is not the only birding place in worcester, no matter how almighty it is :)
anybody anything?????
in the severn valley at the lickhill area of stourport a family flock of marsh tit still roam

surely someone has something to say??????
MB

Thread can't be going to pot when we get treated to such cracking images as those of the Lapland bunting - surely that was yours, Duck Pond, on the Birdguides 'Notable Photographs of the Week' - very well deserved. Why has no one else commented until now?

Thread can't be going to pot when we get treated to such cracking images as those of the Lapland bunting - surely that was yours, Duck Pond, on the Birdguides 'Notable Photographs of the Week' - very well deserved. Why has no one else commented until now?

oh that wasnt a crack at the content of the fourum, it was more like we cant just let this fourum die but in a youthful sorta way and the only thing i could think was 'down the pot' rather than say we cant let the thread die, if you get what i mean???

but i will agree they are stunning photo's pete:t:
MB

Bittel Reservoir the other day.

Lower- 2 Gadwall, 1 Little Grebe, 2+ Siskin over and Wigeon heard but only had bins!
Near Cofton Richards Farm- Looks amazingly hot for a rare Bunting/finch. Over the back of the wheat field that the public footpath goes through there must have been 50+ Yellowhammer, 20 Reed Bunting, 25+ Chaffinch. Thought I heard Tree Sparrow but most things were pretty elusive, gonna start putting seed down and make sure my dad carries on doing it while I'm at uni, Rustic anyone?

Bunkers Hill Wood 10.10.2010

Had a walk around Bunkers Hill Wood this afternoon and we managed to get our first Siskins and Redwings of the Autumn, it was lovely to hear and then see both of these species in the very unseasonal warm sunshine! Other notable birds seen include Common Buzzard, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Chiffchaff, LTT, Goldcrest, Great Spotted Woodpecker along with the more common woodland species.

For anyone interested in visiting the area the following link provides further information: http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/our-woods/Pages/about-this-wood.aspx?wood=4013

Attachments

• P1010036 [].JPG
    P1010036 [].JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 62
  • P1010043 [].JPG
    P1010043 [].JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 58
  • P1010091 [].JPG
    P1010091 [].JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 64
  • P1010078 [].JPG
    P1010078 [].JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Hi Emma
thanks for this, never knew this place existed ! I live only a few miles from here so will check it out in the next few weeks. Where did you leave your car, on the Sugar loaf lane side ( my side) or theWhittington lane side ?

Any info on the route to take ( looking at my explorer map now) appreciated

Mark

Hi Emma
thanks for this, never knew this place existed ! I live only a few miles from here so will check it out in the next few weeks. Where did you leave your car, on the Sugar loaf lane side ( my side) or theWhittington lane side ?

Any info on the route to take ( looking at my explorer map now) appreciated

Mark

Hi Mark,

We park in the small car park opposite Whittington Farm, there is also a layby on the opposite side of the road where people park as well. You can do a circuit all the way around the outskirts of the wood but be warned that there is a fairly steep hill if you go anti-clockwise around the wood! There are a couple of good areas for the birds, one is off the 'left' path by the entrance near Rhododendron Bushes (for Goldcrest) and there is also a good spot if you take the path straight ahead of you by the entrance just after the pine trees.

The fields overlooking Sugar Loaf Lane are excellent for Yellowhammers in the Winter, there must have been 80+ there in Jan/Feb in the hedgerows! We have also had Wheatear and Common Redstart in/near the fields over the last year or so.

Hope you enjoy you visit there, let us know how you get on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back