• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (6 Viewers)

This morning at Brake Mill Pools, West Hagley: A good number of Goosander at least 17 with 3 being males, hard to count them as they were almost continually diving at times, Little Grebe x1, Tufted Duck x1 (m) and Gulls in great numbers arriving on the water and scattering the Goosanders with many more Gulls arriving in the sheep field that is past the railway bridge.

Brake lane: Birds seen along the North Worcestershire Path were several Fieldfare, Redwings and a species I haven't seen in this area for a while were 2 splendid looking Mistle Thrushes. Long-tailed Tits were roving the hedgerow, Robin, Goldfinch and a Great Spotted Woodpecker were the remaining highlights on what was a bracing walk in for the most part sunshine!

Starling Murmuration in Redditch

Seen in Redditch around 4.30pm to 4.45pm above the Town Hall / Car Park 2, a large murmuration possibly roosting in Church Green. Very large numbers, seen here before in previous years but nowhere near as many. A few photographs to give an idea...

Attachments

• Murm 1.jpg
    Murm 1.jpg
    711.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Murm 2.jpg
    Murm 2.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Murm3.jpg
    Murm3.jpg
    671.1 KB · Views: 84
A walk along the old railway line from wilden top to the canal then on towards kidderminster on the tow path saw 38 species recorded ,all common but, always something in view ,unlike some of the walks i go on. Great habitats that could hide some real goodies including views over wilden marsh from the raised towpath .

With Brian's site not active at present please note that at Bredons Hardwick main pit there is a pink footed goose and a European whitefront this afternoon with 170 greylag also 17 golden plover a large lapwing flock and 75 wigeon. View from farm gateway geese in field adjoining road

Kempsey
Thanks to STUART ANDREWS for pointing out the Short Eared Owls to me yesterday....they had left the roost and were in the field behind the roost when I returned from looking for the one that had earlier flown off.
I saw a couple of fly overs but had to leave around 3.30 to get the bus home.
A large flock of Starlings also present as was the Kingfisher on the pond.

Attachments

• Canon 2016 March 1 081 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2016 March 1 081 A_filtered.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Canon 2016 March 1 032 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2016 March 1 032 A_filtered.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Can anyone advise where the best place to park is to visit woodbury hill? I can see there are public footpaths across it but can't see anywhere obvious to park with causing disruption to the road!!

Many Thanks in anticipation

Richard

Thanks for that Brian. I tried there today and managed to park behind someone already there. Really pleased to catch up with the crossbills.

Many thanks

RichardB :)

So for today......

Crossbills still at Woodbury hill this morning.

Also we had 1 hawfinch and a goshawk over at the wyre forest. At about 12/1230. (Lodge farm)

Great day..

Thanks Rocb and Alex for the company and many laughs.

walk from blackstone country park over to devils spitleful and rifle range 45 species seen lesser pecker heard, but the stars of the day had to be 4 crossbills, 2 male ,in dev spit by the mound , cracking views. The reserve is now looking a lot better after its make over a couple of years ago ,so more goodies may be on the way.

not exactly Worcestershire but just over the border at titis tone clee 2 ring ousels,redstart, wheatears,stonechats and singing willow warblers. CAtherton common 2 red kites circling. The Shropshire sights don't seem to be used regularly and as a Worcestershire birder thought this might be of interest

Amazing morning at Walton Hill. 3 stonking male Ring Ouzels performed well in the paddock just to the right (west) of Walton Hill Farm They then flew across the small valley to the gorse covered grass bank. Here amongst the hawthorns was a female Common Redstart. Back in the horse paddock 2 Wheatear with Meadow Pip Linnet Gold and Greenfinch. A small flock of linnets were getting aggitated and Isaw the cause was a Cuckoo which then flew of without calling possibly a female but they had recognised the threat. Then along the white tape fence at the bottom of the paddock I saw another Redstart I put the scope up and realised it was a Black Redstart female. Superb sunny spring morning

Amazing morning at Walton Hill. Then along the white tape fence at the bottom of the paddock I saw another Redstart I put the scope up and realised it was a Black Redstart female. Superb sunny spring morning

What time did you see the female Black Redstart? unfortunatley we only had Bins and saw,what we thought was a female Redstart by the white taped posts We did comment that it looked somewhat dark and mentioned a Black Redstart

Cheers

We thought there was a min. of 5 Ring Ouzels

Last edited:
Visit after work to the Hoopoe at Romsley. Always nice to see one of these and my first for Worcestershire.:t:

Chris

Attachments

• hoop 2.JPG
    hoop 2.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 108
  • hoop 3 copy.jpg
    hoop 3 copy.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 116

Users who are viewing this thread

Back