• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding on Masirah Island Oman (1 Viewer)

shykra

Professional Beginner
Just a quick post on what I have seen during my stay here. Work has kept me busy but I have got out and about a bit and so far I have seen 2 Egyptian Vultures, 3 Brown-necked Ravens, 5 Black-crowned Finch larks and more Laughing (Palm) Doves and Crested Larks than I want to count. I am off to the beach tomorrow were there is supposed to be huge breeding populations of terns of all types, oooooo I'm excited.

Great Andy. I envy you the Egyptian vultures especially. They have been seen out here in the past but are extremely rare. I should love to see one. Look forward to hearing about your visit to the beach. I wonder if those laughing doves are the same as ours? (Streptopelia senegalensis).

Same dove. They are cute little doves and very approachable at least at this locaion. I am hoping to get a closer look sometime during the remainder of my stay at the vultures. I have also encountered some sandgrouse on three differant occasions but they always spook before I can get close enough.

You are lucky when I was out there with the RAF all I saw were Camels that got more pretty the longer you were based on the island. Also camel spiders that looked dead ugly no matter how you looked at them, never had much time for bird watching in those days. The aircraft didn't seem to like the heat and sand of the desert, didn't have the luxury of air conditioned hangars in my days, so were constantly going tech. Best of luck with your bird watching.

Hi Bob, yes things have advanced here a bit and conditions are a lot nicer and comfortable.
Good day at the beach today even though I couldn't get to the large nesting area, I could see them but not good enough. But I did get the following 2 Greater Flamingos (Juveniles) it was great to see them free for the first time instaed of in a zoo. Numerous Grey Herons. Loads of Sooty Gulls and common amounts of Swift Terns, and Saunders Terns. I also had an Eqyptian Vulture fly within 25 feet of me giving me an awesome look. I also encountered hatching Leatherback Turtles, you want to talk about a perfect day at the beach. I am looking forward to going back down later today. By the way the waves were great for belly boarding too.

A couple more from this afternoons outing. 1 (European) Curlew, 3 Western Reef Heron (Black and White phase).

I envy you seeing the hatching leatherbacked turtles, I have spent a number of years living in the Middle East and the Far East, and that is something I have never managed to see. But I have wanted to, and travelled to beaches in the hope of achieving this ambition without any success.

I must correct myself; it has been Loggerhead Turtles not Leatherbacks I have been watching. I got out two nights ago to watch the females come ashore what an amazing site, you just can’t imagine there size until you see them for yourself.

I have still to locate the nesting location of all the terns and gulls here yet. But, I am getting closer. I was on the northern tip of the island yesterday and I have found the spot they all hang out. So, I walked the beach for about 2 hours and added two more species to my list 1 Oystercatcher, 5 Turnstones and 3 Greater Sand Plovers, the wave dodgers are not quite in summer plumage yet so it is still a challenge to figure them out.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back