• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds, Squirrels, and Ants...oh my! (SF Bay Area, CA, USA) (1 Viewer)

CalvinFold

Would someone be so kind as to verify my IDs, correct them, or fill in the blanks? Still learning my wildlife specifics. |:$|

These were taken today in San Leandro, CA, USA. Oyster Bay Regional Shoreline.

Left to right:

--Eurasian Collared Dove

--Lesser Goldfinch

--California Ground Squirrel

--Hopefully some insect-lovers out there...trying to ID ant species just made me throw my hands up in surrender. |8.| Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
My Birdforum Gallery

Attachments

• 130901_OBRS_EurasianCollaredDove_04_ID.jpg
    130901_OBRS_EurasianCollaredDove_04_ID.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 130901_OBRS_LesserGoldfinch_05_ID.jpg
    130901_OBRS_LesserGoldfinch_05_ID.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 130901_OBRS_Squirrel_41_ID.jpg
    130901_OBRS_Squirrel_41_ID.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 130901_OBRS_Ants_01_ID.jpg
    130901_OBRS_Ants_01_ID.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 51
Your first 3 are correct. Ants are tricky to identify and often need very detailed close-up images. However, I'd recommend posting on bugguide.net, its a site for American insects and there are plenty of experts on there.

The ants look to be possibly wood ants https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...yCux2jhl-xtlPDXOf_eNte6rnk2OGtXKAyzP6QfXFxand the dove confusion between ring-necked, collared and half collared certainly has me confused. BTW, dove season opened in CA today.

" BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - Hunters in Kern County may now start taking doves since the season opening Sunday.

According to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, there is a bag limit of 10 for Mourning doves and White-Winged doves. There is no limit on Spotted Doves, Eurasian Collared Doves, and Ringed Turtle Doves ".

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - Hunters in Kern County may now start taking doves since the season opening Sunday.

According to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, there is a bag limit of 10 for Mourning doves and White-Winged doves. There is no limit on Spotted Doves, Eurasian Collared Doves, and Ringed Turtle Doves ".
Dove hunting, in California? Serious?

That just sounds so...odd...

In this state that usually mean population control, culling, or some kind of meat delicacy (cultural or otherwise). Is there really some sort of "dove problem" in California? Or is this just some sort of weird "sport" I wasn't familiar with?

I'll stick to "shooting" them with the scope and camera, thanks. |:p|

I just ID'd them as Eurasian Collared after being corrected about a previous ID here. |:$|

Dove hunting is pretty popular in some places, especially Texas and some of the southern Midwestern states.

Spotted and Ringed Turtle Doves are pretty uncommon in CA, and Ringed Turtle Dove isn't really a wild species, it's a domestic breed that doesn't do well outside of captivity, so any Collared Dove type bird you see is likely to be a Eurasian Collared Dove.

Dove hunting, in California? Serious?

That just sounds so...odd...

In this state that usually mean population control, culling, or some kind of meat delicacy (cultural or otherwise). Is there really some sort of "dove problem" in California? Or is this just some sort of weird "sport" I wasn't familiar with?

Are you serious? Mourning Doves are traditional game animals in much of the country and have been for generations. They are hunted with shotguns and are eaten, though like other game animals I've tried they're not very good. I hope this doesn't come as too much of a shock, but ducks are also hunted for sport in California, and geese and quail and, brace yourself, even deer! Yes, deer!! It sounds to me you don't get out in the world much! ;)

Are you serious? Mourning Doves are traditional game animals in much of the country and have been for generations. They are hunted with shotguns and are eaten, though like other game animals I've tried they're not very good. I hope this doesn't come as too much of a shock, but ducks are also hunted for sport in California, and geese and quail and, brace yourself, even deer! Yes, deer!! It sounds to me you don't get out in the world much! ;)
Actually, I was quite serious in my inquiry. Sorry if I came-off as naïve, vegetarian, or anti-hunting or something. |:S|

I'm very familiar with the hunting (and eating) of all the other animals you mentioned (Ducks Unlimited is big around here, for example), just never heard of hunting doves. Or eating them for that matter. "You learn something new every day," and all that jazz.

Outside of Cantonese Pressed Duck (one of my favorites, though tough to find on a menu) and buffalo (not sure if that counts these days), I've not had the chance to have other wild game as food. I've heard like any other meat, it's quite good when prepared properly.

I'll still stick to "shooting" animals, like doves, with my camera though. |:p|

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back