• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpipers, SF Bay Area, CA, USA; Oct 23 2016 (1 Viewer)

kolibrik

Dear everyone, I would be grateful for the help with several birds in the attached photos. Taken in the San Francisco Bay, California USA, October 23 2016.

Photo_1: Most of the birds at the bottom with yellow legs seem to be the Least Sandpipers. The bird in the upper left portion (in yellow oval) looks like a Dunlin to me but I am not sure. Finally, the uppermost bird that is second from the left in the upper left part of the photo is challenging (blue oval); it seems that two birds in the upper right portion of the view are the same species.

Photo2: The birds in red and yellow ovals raise questions. The upper one looks like a Least Sandpiper, too. The larger birds in this photo seem to be Dunlins.

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo_1.jpg
    photo_1.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 48
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 42
1 Yep, Dunlin for yellow ring; I'd guess Western Sandpiper for blue ring.

2 Yep, Least Sandpipier for red ring; yellow ring I think another Western Sandpiper.

Photo1: Least Sands + Dunlin (yellow oval) + prob Western Sands (blue oval, plus another probable seen from the rear at the center bottom, + another 2? at the far right hand side of the photo)
Photo2: Least sands (including the 1 juv inside the red oval), Dunlins (centre and far right hand side of the photo), Western Sandpipers (yellow oval, another at the top of the photo, and another probable at the right dipping its head)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back