• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching around Altinkum, Turkey (1 Viewer)

John o'Sullivan

I've just bought a villa two miles outside of Altinkum. Despite not birding during a week out there whilst we bought saw amongst others. Rollers, Bee- eater, white stork , Little bittern, Lesser kestrel, Black-eared wheatear, black headed bunting, alpine swift, etc. Please would people be so kind as to submit sightings onto this thread which will help me build up a picture of what is possible at what time of year, Thanks John O'

Last edited:
watcha John

have birded down South-west Turkey but can you shed a bit more light on where Altinkum is exactly?

White-throated Kingfisher should be possible and maybe Pied too....there's a nice pair to start you off

ok had a look at me notes.....

should be able to catch up with among others in summer:
Kingfishers mentioned above
Masked Shrike
Cettis
Roller
Syrian Pecker
Orphean Warbler
White-throated Robin
Sombre Tit
Egyptian Vulture
Olive-tree Warbler
Levant Sprawk (Common is present too so be careful)
Yellow-vented bulbul
Graceful Warbler
Finsch's Wheatear - bit tricky
Isabelline Wheatear
Rock Nuthatch
Cretzchmar's Bunting
Calandra Lark
Ruppell's Warbler
etc, etc, etc

Plenty of raptors etc...and if u go inland or travel a bit three are all sorts of possibilities; Snowcocks, Wallcreeper, Radde's Accs and Sakers etc, in the Demirkazik area; Kruper's Nuthatch and White-backed Woodpecker and even bear around Akseki...

I can let u have sites for a few tricky things like Finsch's Wheatear and Olive0-tree Warbler....sites are old but if the habo is there i bet the birds still will be.

Whereabouts is Altinkum? - if it is west of Antalya, several of the species Tim lists don't occur: the two kingfishers, Egyptian Vulture, Yellow-vented bulbul, Graceful Warbler, Snowcocks, Wallcreeper, Radde's Accentor, Saker, White-backed Woodpecker. But I didn't find Finsch's Wheatear a problem in the mountains when I was there (end Sept - early Oct), and can add Red-fronted Serin to the list (also in the mountains, west of Antalya)

Michael

Hi Michael
both kingfishers are around Dalyan, well west of Antalya. Most of the others you quote do require a trip inland to Demirkazik/Akseki as mentioned.

To reply to the last question four plus two bathrooms, the Agean is 250 yards away to the front and the countryside is 50 yards away to the left.
Altinkum is North of Bodrum around 1 1/2 hours drive.

From a birding perspective I guess the Turkish specialities will require travel.
At present I'm more interested in building up a picture of birding within an hours travel of the villa so as far north as the national park south of Kussadasi (Dilek Yarimadasi Milli Parki) and the large Lake east of Yenikoy (camici golu) the river valley south of Soke also looks prime habitat, most of the birds on the original thread were seen from the bus passing through this. I guess like myself there are lots of birders who go on family holidays to tourist areas and pinch a days birding here and there throughout a holiday. Collecting bits and pieces of info on a threads like this should allow overall pattern to develop away from some of the classic birding sites. Thanks for posts so far over time I hope to travel and pick up as many species as possible.

Last edited:
we are in the process of having bathrooms renovated at present. Then we have to furnish we'll be open for visitors some-time next year. Friendly non scary visitors wellcome.

Last edited:
I know Im posting on my own thread but i'm new to bird forum and still finding my way around. Ive just found Turkey in locations and its got camici golu mentioned sounds great (on the right day). Any other info on the forum that im missing? Please advise.

Last edited:
I went to the Marmaris area of south-west Turkey in September 2001 on a family holiday but with plenty of birding squeezed in. My most wanted bird, Krüper's Nuthatch, was extremely easy to find in any of the pine woods in that area and I also saw them in the trees at Ephesus, where Rock Nuthatch was ubiquitous and Masked Shrike was also present. A visit to Pamukkale revealed three Finsch's Wheatear and plenty of Northern and Black-eared Wheatears although I never did manage to pin down Isabelline which was surely present too. And a trip to the Dalyan area is a must although a bit further.

E

The birds I saw were
May 3-4 off kussadasi a.m. small flocks of yelkouan shearwater up to 20
May 5-7 off bus Soke to Altinkum
Across plain, Flock of summer Med gulls following tractor, Little bittern in ditch,
In foothills off plain 3 Rollers, 8 bee-eaters, regular woodchat on wires
3 White stork, including nest on pylon just outside of yenikoy
Lesser Kestrels, Alpine swift above Akkoy looked like colony of Kestrels here.

May 7-Altinkum to Yeshilkent walk along coast Whinchat, Eleanoras falcon 1,
olivaceous warbler 1, northen and black eared wheatear, red backed and woodchat shrike, numerous corn and black headed buntings, golden oriole, 7 turtledoves,
spanish sparrow, crested lark, white wagtail.

Hello all been out to Turkey twice now since the above. Once in August, once in October. I've been trying to get a general impression of the birds in the area around the house and have identified a couple of migrant hotspots within 5 minutes walk.

August was mostly wheatears (I struggled to work these out), shrikes and warblers (as wheatears). October, thrushes, larks, robins, finches, chiffchaffs and black reds. The bird population changed significantly on each visits as migrants came and went so black headed buntings only seen in may, corn buntings not seen in august but common May and oct,no wheatears, few warblers in Oct. There were two "falls" once in Aug (c80 shrikes inc 4 lesser greys, 150 assorted wheatears, 1000's hirundines, c200 warblers, 100 yellow wags, 20 Hoopoes, etc.) Oct 100s/1000s of thrushes and larks, 100s of finches, 20 black redstarts, assorted other odds and ends. Both occured following winds with a significant easterly element, the Oct one also with low cloud.

Amongst the birds I managed to (at times tentatively) identify in August the commonest wheatear was black- eared, also a few northen with single Isabelline and a ? female finsch's. Warblers sardinian, lesser whitethroat, Ruppels, orphean, olivaceous and a single willow, syrian woodpecker was seen most days, red rumped swallow in good numbers and regular woodchat, red backed shrikes and Hoopoe. Others seen as migrants or more rarely inc Short toed eagle, woodlark, common tern, greenshank, wood and common sand, sombre tit, spotted flycatcer.
In october as mentioned above the species present had changed significantly with only a few exceptions now i.e. numbers of sardinian warbler, crested lark being different from a day at portland. The weather however was significantly different although given the fall the morning with cloud I wouldn't have minded more cloud, perhaps even a bit of rain. The less common birds this time, a couple of red backed shrikes,a single olivaceous warbler, lapwing, grey heron, kestrel, sandwich tern, blackcap. Black redstarts although not present in big nos were seen every day around houses and gardens and the morning of the fall the best sighting was of a party of four birds dropping onto a ruin as they coasted East.
Also as a bonus on the way out of Town 11 kms away is the outskirts of a national park. The Delta of the River I mentioned in June. The briefest of scans over the Lagoons and shallows visible from the road on the way back revealed Flamingoes, Great white and little egrets. So far so good, looking forward to going back in May.

I've looked a number of times now but I can't find any good current info on birds / birders/ organisations in Turkey on the net.If any body could help me I'd be grateful. John

Last edited:
You are not far from Bafa Golu and its delta.

This area is well worth a visit, and during passage can be spectacular. We visited early summer and were amazed by the birds there, but apparently winter is even better with massive numbers of wildfowl.

I'll try to dig out some reports for you.

White-throated Kingfisher should be possible and maybe Pied too

Tim,

There are very few reports of the 2 rarer Kingfishers now from the Dalyan area - although the White-breasted (can't we have Smyrna back?!) site at Lake Koyceygiz still appears to have at least one pair.

I've found a trip report that includes a visit to the lagoons which begin north of Altinkum. www.birdtours.co.uk/tripreports/turkey/turkey7/turk-oct2001.htm the relevant date being 18th Oct. Also a map that shows where we are. www.adiyamanli.org/MapofTurkey/bhtml/c_1_4.htm. We are on the eastern edge of the peninsular just south of Didimya. Even though it is only a short sea crossing across to the opposite peninsular I've seen birds dropping out of the sky to avoid it. Passage correspondingly tends to go west to east along the coast.

Last edited:
John,

I've emailed you some information on Bafa Golu. If you email me your address I'll send you some very old bird trip reports from the area.

There is a reliable site for White-throated Robin near Mugla (although I've never actually been!) - I've taken these directions from a report posted on www.birdtours.co.uk.

"To find the White-throated Robin site, turn right into Mugla at the junction for Marmaris etc. then turn right again at the 2nd set of traffic lights in the town (if you get to a large roundabout, you’ve gone too far. If the road to the right ends up at a barracks, then they’ve put some more traffic lights up and you’ve turned off too soon). After a short distance this road climbs steeply up a hillside. After the first major U-turn there is an area of scrub and open grass, near a dry stream. We had good views of a female White-throated Robin here. The better known site is a short distance further, after another U-turn, near a bridge by some farm buildings. There were no WTRs showing here. CC had seen them here on two previous occasions, both earlier in the morning, when they are, perhaps, more active. Driving further on there is a large metal sign by the road. CC had seen Orphean Warblers here in 1995 and 1996. One was singing as we left the car, but stopped almost immediately. There were nomads camped near to where the bird had been singing from, so we decided not to go any closer."

I've never had any trouble from anyone whilst birding this part of Turkey - in fact the locals couldn't be more helpful - some of the dogs leave a bit to be desired though!

I am not from the SW Turkey, but I have visited friends on several occasions in areas north of your place:
Bodrum:
Winter: Audouins gull, Dalmatian pelican, Sardinian warbler, shrikes, booted eagle, Bonelli's eagle, golden plover, grey plover, cirl bunting, hawfinch, red-fronted serin (surprisingly, at sea-level) and many others.
Gokova:
kittiwake (rare), lesser short-toed lark (rare), red-breasted merganser (rare), Kruper's nuthatch.
I guess that almost anything is possible - it is a very good area of Turkey. Join the 'Lark' and the 'Toygar' as soon as possible. You do not need muchg Turkish to understand the last - just follow the bird-lists.

Ian Richardson.

Thanks for that Ian. The particular fascination for me and Turkish birdwatching is the mix between the familiar e.g. Little Stint and the "exotic" e.g. spur winged plover. The problem is there is no substitute for experience. So I can identify the familiar (although light conditions and eastern subspecies make a difference) whilst at times the unfamiliar remain tentatively identified.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back